This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6313 / 50°37'52"N
Longitude: -2.4799 / 2°28'47"W
OS Eastings: 366151
OS Northings: 81397
OS Grid: SY661813
Mapcode National: GBR PX.S2C5
Mapcode Global: FRA 57PD.PP4
Entry Name: Causeway House
Listing Date: 12 December 1953
Last Amended: 22 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467312
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Wey Valley
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Radipole and Melcombe Regis
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6681SW CAUSEWAY, Radipole
873-1/11/490 (North side (off))
12/12/53 Causeway House
(Formerly Listed as:
WEST END, Radipole
Detached house, formerly farmhouse. Late C17 origins, extended
and altered 1804, entrance relocated, and some alterations,
Squared coursed rubble with dressed quoins to the main front,
rubble elsewhere; slate roof, with 3 eaves courses of stone
slate to the W.
PLAN: gabled range of C17 or earlier to which a second
parallel range was added in 1804, to a central valley; lower
range of outbuildings, later incorporated into the house,
extends to the N. The house is approached on the E side by a
lane, probably the original road, off the Causeway, which runs
round behind it, forming an 'island' site.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, the symmetrical E front has 2
windows; broad 12-pane sash flat dormers above tripartite
4:12:4-pane sashes to yellow brick segmental heads and wood
sills at ground and first floors. The central doorway has a
moulded arched surround with keystone and plain tympanum over
a 12-pane sash and a panel, replacing the door, in pilasters.
Above the door is a worn flush stone plaque inscribed 'THB
(Buckler), 1804' (the date practically erased by weathering),
and a fire insurance plaque.
To the right is the 1-storey set-back wing, which includes an
early plank door under a set-back covered area. The plain
gables have 4 stacks. The S gable end has an early flush
6-panel door in deep lined reveals, and with a flat canopy on
bold carved brackets, under a small 2-light window; this work
is from 1961, when the doorway was relocated.
The W front, the earlier range, has a large 24-pane staircase
sash, flanked to the left by an early 4-light casement, with a
later 3-light to the right. Near the left-hand end, at mid
height, is a blocked square opening with chamfered stone
surround, possibly indicating an early staircase position.
At the ground floor are inserted door and lights to the low
wing, two 3-light casements, and a former door opening, filled
with concrete block and a small light, in the main range.
INTERIOR: inspected at the ground floor only. The C18
staircase has been removed, and a 1961 stick stair inserted
nearer the S end of the W range; there is no evidence of early
(RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 364).
Listing NGR: SY6615181397
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings