This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5852 / 53°35'6"N
Longitude: -1.7088 / 1°42'31"W
OS Eastings: 419377
OS Northings: 409885
OS Grid: SE193098
Mapcode National: GBR JVHZ.VJ
Mapcode Global: WHCBG.Q4HV
Entry Name: Shepley Hall
Listing Date: 23 June 1965
Last Amended: 16 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341218
Location: Kirkburton, Kirklees, HD8
Civil Parish: Kirkburton
Built-Up Area: Shepley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Shepley St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 10 NE STATION ROAD
No. 30 (Shepley Hall)
23rd June 1965 & No. 32
(Formerly listed as No 20-
G.V. II 30(Range of Cottages next
to Shepley Old Hall))
House, now divided. Dated 1608 but with C19 and recent alterations.
Thinly coursed rubble with quoins. Stone slate roof. Two storeys.
Hollow chamfered gable copings on cut kneelers to porch. Double pile
plan with 2-gabled front with near-central projecting 2-storey porch
which has wide entrance with deep, arched lintel with raised letters:
"ANNO DOMINI 1608 RH EH" and also possible builders' marks. 1st floor
of porch has 8-light mullioned and transomed, double chamfered window.
The right gable has one 2-light window to ground floor and one 3-light
window to 1st floor, both double chamfered and with hood mould. Altered
windows to its right side. The left part (No. 32) has been rendered.
Windows to its left side appear to be C19. The gable has a C19 or C20
projecting stack which partly obscures a former 4-light window and a
3-light window. Attached to the rear of No. 30 is a range of formerly
3 early C19 cottages, now part of No. 30, altered to the front, but with
3-light windows to rear at 1st floor level and entrance and one 4-light
window to ground floor. Right hand end has been altered.
Interior: No. 32 has good original plaster frieze of affronted mermaids.
The ceiling is divided by a partition but has mouldings with circles
with central motif and squares with Tudor rose. Also fleur-de-lys and
date 1609. The centre part has gone.
The house was built on the site of an earlier house by Robert Hepworth.
H. J. Morehouse, The History of Kirkburton & the Graveship of Holme, 1861.
Listing NGR: SE1937709885
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings