This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1855 / 53°11'7"N
Longitude: -2.6431 / 2°38'34"W
OS Eastings: 357125
OS Northings: 365567
OS Grid: SJ571655
Mapcode National: GBR 7N.36J2
Mapcode Global: WH99P.C6N9
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 17 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135842
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57458
Location: Utkinton and Cotebrook, Cheshire West and Chester, CW6
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Utkinton and Cotebrook
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Tarporley St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Chester
UTKINTON C.P. STABLE LANE
SJ 56 NE
(East Side) Cotebrook
6/32 Church of St John
Church: 1874-5 by G E Street. Tooled red sandstone rubble with
ashlar dressings. Red tile roof and pierced ridge. 4-bay nave under
a steeply pitched roof, short chancel over a basement vestry and a
small north-east tower. Small rectangular nave windows of 3 trefoil
headed lights. Chancel has a sill band and 2 lancets over a basement
with a door with a shaped Caernarvon arch and a 2-light chamfered
mullioned window. East end is divided by a low buttress and has a
triple lancet window with weak trefoil heads. Small rectangular tower
in the angle between nave and chancel has buttresses to 1st storey. A
band rises above the clock and above this are thin louvred lancet bell
openings. Pyramidal cap with weathervane. West window has an
interesting arrangement of 4 lancets with trefoil heads and a
quatrefoil above. To left side is a chamfered and moulded 2-centred
arched entrance to an internal porch with a simpler door.
Interior: Nave contains the porch. Windows have splayed reveals and
segmental heads. Arch-braced roof with cut wind-braced purlins.
Chancel arch has a triple hollow chamfered moulding and the chancel is
vaulted in brick with bands of stone. Memorial east window to Sir P de
M G Egerton by Kempe 1882. C17 painting of the Adoration of the Magi
over the altar. Octofoil font on cluster of 8 shafts.
Listing NGR: SJ5712565567
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings