This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1288 / 53°7'43"N
Longitude: -2.8698 / 2°52'11"W
OS Eastings: 341898
OS Northings: 359429
OS Grid: SJ418594
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.6Z9R
Mapcode Global: WH88M.WMM6
Entry Name: Cross and Stepped Base East of Path to South Porch of Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 2 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135991
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55210
Location: Aldford and Saighton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Aldford and Saighton
Built-Up Area: Aldford
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Aldford St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 45 NW
Cross and Stepped Base East of Path to South Porch of Church of St John the Baptist
Base of 4 steps, probably medieval, and cross, 1901. Red sandstone.
The base carries a restored plinth on which the cross stands. The
shaft of the cross bears two brass plaques, one inscribed with the
Apostles Creed, the other "To the honour and glory of God and in pious
memory of Hugh Lupus, Duke of Westminster. This ancient cross is
restored by some who loved him, 1901". The head of the cross bears a
carving of Christ crucified.
Listing NGR: SJ 41898 59429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings