History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Saighton, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1391 / 53°8'20"N

Longitude: -2.842 / 2°50'31"W

OS Eastings: 343767

OS Northings: 360548

OS Grid: SJ437605

Mapcode National: GBR 7D.664P

Mapcode Global: WH88N.9CWB

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 1 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136639

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55367

Location: Aldford and Saighton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Aldford and Saighton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bruera St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Saighton

Listing Text

SJ 46 PW SAIGHTON C.P. CHAPEL LANE
(East side)

3/28 Church of St Mary the
Virgin

1/6/1967
II*

Church with late Cll or early C12 chancel arch and, probably, masonry
in nave and chancel; C14 and C15 windows; south chapel late C15;
belfry, south porch, vestry and general restoration 1896 by W M Boden
at expense of 1st Duke of Westminster. Squared, roughly coursed red
sandstone in large blocks; slate roof; oak-framed, louvred west belfry
on ridge with low, square shingled spire. Aisleless nave and chancel;
four-centred archway from nave to chapel of 1 bay. Each respond of
the chancel arch has 3 attached shafts, the outer two linked by 4
single beakheads which suggest Norse influence; the south capital has
crudely carved foliage and faces - the north respond was renewed 1896.
On the face to the nave of the porch arch (rebuilt probably C14) are 4
carved voussoirs with motifs probably derived from Norse sun symbols
and from Romanesque palmettes. The font is a stone baluster with
hollowed trough, probably C17. A pair of marble monuments stand in
the south chapel: to Sir Robert Cunliffe, 1778, right, signed by
Joseph Nollekens, with a seated putto holding a portrait medallion
against a dark grey obelisk; to Sir Ellis Cunliffe, 1769, left,
matching Sir Robert, but with a standing putto. Good stained glass,
1897, in the manner of the Arts and Crafts movement, in a plain
inserted 3-light north window (Nave).


Listing NGR: SJ4376760548

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.