History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbey Gate College, the Main Block Except the Gatehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Saighton, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1505 / 53°9'1"N

Longitude: -2.8341 / 2°50'2"W

OS Eastings: 344312

OS Northings: 361811

OS Grid: SJ443618

Mapcode National: GBR 7D.5G30

Mapcode Global: WH88N.F2NK

Entry Name: Abbey Gate College, the Main Block Except the Gatehouse

Listing Date: 2 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136660

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55369

Location: Aldford and Saighton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Aldford and Saighton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bruera St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Saighton

Listing Text

SJ 46 SW SAIGHTON C.P. CHAPEL LANE
(East side)

3/171 Abbey Gate College
(formerly Saighton
Grange), the main block
except the gatehouse

GV II

House (now the main block of Abbeygate College), the right wing 1861
by Edward Hodkinson for 2nd Marquis of Westminster and the front wing
built or extended 1876 for the 1st Duke. The Hall immediately behind
the Gatehouse (q.v.) may be earlier C19. Red sandstone with roofs of
banded shaped tiles. The 2-storey front wing, with 2 bays left of the
Gatehouse and 3 right, of Tudor character has battlements,
crow-stepped gables and tall chimneys with circular flues on weathered
plinths. Windows with concave bevelled mullions and transomes and
moulded reveals have large-pane wooden casements. Shaped framed and
boarded oak door on ornate wrought iron hinges. The right wing (2
storeys) has 3 stone-fronted gables to half dormers on inner face
and 3-storey cross-gabled terminal, left. Four tall ridge chimneys
have round flues on weathered plinths. Large-pane timber casements;
hollow-bevelled mullions and transomes and double-bevelled reveals.
The hall (front wing) has Gothick double doors each of 3 panels, under
a moulded arch. Ionic surrounds to 2 inlaid 6-panel doors, left;
U-shaped stone stair with square iron balusters and a grooved handrail
of hardwood, rear; Ionic colonnades of 2 columns and 2 end pilasters
to each storey, right. Over the stairwell is a circular rooflight
with 12 radial bars separated by segmental bars at circumference set
in a plaster ceiling of square recessed panels.


Listing NGR: SJ4431261811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.