This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2463 / 53°14'46"N
Longitude: -2.0399 / 2°2'23"W
OS Eastings: 397432
OS Northings: 372141
OS Grid: SJ974721
Mapcode National: GBR GZ6X.50
Mapcode Global: WHBBQ.MNTP
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen forest Chapel
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58015
Location: Macclesfield Forest and Wildboarclough, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Macclesfield Forest and Wildboarclough
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Rainow Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 97 SE MACCLESFIELD FOREST C.P.
5/99 Church of St Stephen
Church: Origins dated 1673 but nave and chancel completely rebuilt
1831. Coursed squared buff-pink sandstone rubble, sandstone
dressings. Kerridge stone-slate roof and stone ridge. Nave and
chancel in one range of 5 bays. Semi-circular headed window reveals
have T-shaped tracery and lattice leaded windows. Porch on south side
of nave is gabled and entrance has a rusticated cambered head, the
keystone having the date of rebuilding, and the original stone reading
SS 1673 above. Low 3-stage west tower with saddleback roof of heavy
flags has west door under a plain lintel and single light bell
openings with stone louvres in top stage.
Interior: Very simple with no division between nave and chancel.
Some Victorian glass in east window.
Listing NGR: SJ9743272141
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings