History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Copper Beeches the Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Campton, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0299 / 52°1'47"N

Longitude: -0.3553 / 0°21'18"W

OS Eastings: 512932

OS Northings: 238110

OS Grid: TL129381

Mapcode National: GBR H4T.M0N

Mapcode Global: VHFQW.S7KQ

Entry Name: Copper Beeches the Old Rectory

Listing Date: 16 January 1952

Last Amended: 10 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 37566

Location: Campton and Chicksands, Central Bedfordshire, SG17

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Campton and Chicksands

Built-Up Area: Campton

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Campton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Shefford

Listing Text

TL 1238 CAMPTON RECTORY ROAD (North Side)

10/12
16.1.52 Copper Beeches and The Old
Rectory

GV II

Former rectory, now divided into 2 properties. Circa 1700 with late C18
addition and refronting, and some alterations 1839 by John Woolfe jnr. for the
Rev. E R Williamson (Beds Record Office, X254/88). Red brick with hipped clay
tile roofs. Earliest block to E of 2 storeys, with addition to W and
refronting to S, both of 2 storeys and attics. Front elevation: 5 window
symmetrical facade, with first floor brick band and stone coped parapet.
Ground and first floor windows are sashes (C19 replacements) under gauged
brick flat arches. Attic has 5 hipped dormers with casements. Central front
door of 6 moulded panels, flanked by sidelights and surmounted by semi-
circular fanlight with radiating glazing bars. Set within gauged brick round-
arched opening with painted impost bands and keystone. Red brick external
stack to LH. Red brick multiple stack to RH, set into front slope of roof and
probably part of earlier building. Rear elevation: LH block is original
structure, and retains 3 wood mullion and transom windows with leaded lights
and flat arches. Blind windows to centre of first floor. Late C19 canted bay
to RH ground floor. Substantial external stack to LH side. RH later block
has fenestration similar to front elevation,and trelliswork verandah along
ground floor. C20 flat-roofed addition to RH side.


Listing NGR: TL1293238110

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.