History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friends' Meeting House and Adjoining Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Mungrisdale, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6811 / 54°40'51"N

Longitude: -2.9989 / 2°59'56"W

OS Eastings: 335692

OS Northings: 532236

OS Grid: NY356322

Mapcode National: GBR 7GH9.JR

Mapcode Global: WH810.XL4S

Entry Name: Friends' Meeting House and Adjoining Stables

Listing Date: 11 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137704

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73545

Location: Mungrisdale, Eden, Cumbria, CA11

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Mungrisdale

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Mungrisdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Mosedale

Listing Text

NY 33 SE MUNGRISDALE Mosedale

3/24 Friends' Meeting
House and adjoining
stables

G.V. II

Friends' Meeting House/tearoom, with adjoining stables. On C17 site, rebuilding
dated over entrance 1702 with C19 inscription FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE; 1970's
extension. Partly rendered mixed limestone and slate rubble, stables with flush
sandstone quoins. Graduated greenslate roofs. Single-storey 3-bay meeting
house with C20 single-bay extension under common roof; C18 right-angled
extension to right and lower stable to left, making overall L-shape. Facade to
road has plank door in chamfered surround. Stable has plank door to right and
small opening to left. Rear of meeting house has 2-light stone-mullioned
windows, with matching window in C20 extension and similar contemporary window
in side wall of the C18 extension. Interior retains much of its original
fitting although used as a tearoom. C18 benches, wooden panelling behind railed
minister's gallery. Roof trusses supported on 2 sandstone columns. Windows
retain chains for pulling up internal shutters from the outside. Meetings were
discontinued in 1913 and it was used as a Church of England chapel from
1936-1970. See David Butler, Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties, 1978
pp73-76, plans and drawings.


Listing NGR: NY3569232236

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.