History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Flats A,b,c,d,e,f Grandy Nook

A Grade II Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.329 / 54°19'44"N

Longitude: -2.7511 / 2°45'4"W

OS Eastings: 351248

OS Northings: 492866

OS Grid: SD512928

Mapcode National: GBR 9L7C.5X

Mapcode Global: WH82W.QG44

Entry Name: Flats A,b,c,d,e,f Grandy Nook

Listing Date: 14 April 1969

Last Amended: 30 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138242

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75428

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


(West side)
7/87 Flats A, B, C, D, & E
Grandy Nook
14-4-69 (previously listed as
nos 52, 54, & 56)


House(s), now subdivided into flats. 1659 date on stone panel set in gable of
rear wing; initials T. & K.S., for Thomas Sandes (founder of Sandes Hospital in
Highgate) and Katherine, his wife. 2nd panel (originally oak) above front door
of northern block: T. & I.F. 1669. Restored 1864 for John Fisher; later
additions and alterations. Slobbered rubble with wide plinth to south return.
Graduated slate roofs with gabled dormers and full-height rear wing to southern
block; stone end chimneys. Southern block: Roughly symmetrical; 2 storeys with
attics, 5 bays. 2 central C19 studded doors side by side: wooden oriel above
and 2 wood-mullioned and transomed windows to each floor on either side.
Dripstone over ground-floor windows. Northern block: Symmetrical; 2 storeys, 3
bays. Central C19 studded door under canopy on consoles; wood-mullioned and
transomed window to each floor on either side (hoodmoulds with labels to ground
floor). Door to rear wing has moulded jambs and false 4-centred head; 2 porches
added to rear of northern block. For details of dated interior features see
R.C.H.M. Westmorland (1936) p.129 items 60 and 61; strapwork frieze (dated 1666)
recorded by R.C.H.M. was not seen during listing re-survey (April 1984) and
balustrade was said to have been removed.

Listing NGR: SD5124892866

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.