History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Schoolhouse (Former Schoolhouse and Schoolmasters House)

A Grade II Listed Building in Poulton, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1275 / 53°7'38"N

Longitude: -2.9079 / 2°54'28"W

OS Eastings: 339347

OS Northings: 359309

OS Grid: SJ393593

Mapcode National: GBR 79.6VJP

Mapcode Global: WH88M.9NJ8

Entry Name: The Schoolhouse (Former Schoolhouse and Schoolmasters House)

Listing Date: 2 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138389

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55354

Location: Poulton and Pulford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Poulton and Pulford

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Pulford

Listing Text

SJ 35 NE POULTON C.P. STRAIGHT MILE
(West side)

The Schoolhouse
5/157 (Former Schoolhouse and
Schoolmaster's House)

II

Former Schoolhouse and Master's House, now one dwelling, 1866 for the
2nd Marquis of Westminster. Brown brick with grey slate gabled roofs
and 2 diminishing brick chimneys. An almost symmetrical house of 1½
storeys and 2 windows with schoolhouse attached to left with gable to
road. Mullioned and transomed sandstone window openings with
sandstone cills and label-mould lintels. Datestone above window to
school hall with Grosvenor Sheaf and crest. Iron diamond-pane
casements to front and left end. Framed and boarded front door.
External alterations in modern idiom are. confined to the rear.
The interior is altered, with the Schoolhouse converted to part of the
dwelling.
A mounting block cut from a single stone is by the path close to the
schoolmaster's house.
Before conversion to part of the house, the schoolhouse was used as St
Chad's Mission Church.


Listing NGR: SJ3934759309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.