This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1224 / 53°7'20"N
Longitude: -2.9348 / 2°56'5"W
OS Eastings: 337536
OS Northings: 358763
OS Grid: SJ375587
Mapcode National: GBR 78.77M8
Mapcode Global: WH88L.WSM6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 2 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55355
Location: Poulton and Pulford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Poulton and Pulford
Built-Up Area: Pulford
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 35 NE PULFORD C.P. WREXHAM ROAD
5/158 Church of St Mary
Church rebuilt 1881-4 by John Douglas partly at the expense of the 1st
Duke of Westminster. Banded red and buff coursed rubble sandstone
with steep red tile roofs and shingle spire. Cruciform, with
transepts off chancel; aisleless nave; large buttressed tower (in
silhouette typical of Douglas's work) with spire and octagonal corner
spirelets; arched north porch with shaped oak doors on ornate wrought
iron hinges. Plate tracery (north transept), bar tracery in east and
west windows and cusped tracery in rectangular windows to nave.
Interior ashlar with arched oak trusses to roof. Corbelled arches to
transepts. Pictorial stained glass: Crucifixion in east window.
Song of Simeon in west, Magdalen anointing Christ's feet (chancel,
south), and engraved stained glass (after manner of Rosetti) of
Christ's childhood in east window of north transept. Organ chamber in
south transept. Oak pews with carved ends.
An unaltered church in Decorated style, freely interpreted, on the
site of a medieval church adjoining a motte and bailey castle.
Listing NGR: SJ3753658763
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings