This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1574 / 53°9'26"N
Longitude: -2.882 / 2°52'55"W
OS Eastings: 341118
OS Northings: 362611
OS Grid: SJ411626
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.52FQ
Mapcode Global: WH88F.PWTW
Entry Name: Former Schoolmasters House with Storeshed and Domestic Offices Attached
Listing Date: 2 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55314
Location: Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Eaton and Eccleston
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
Former Schoolmaster's House with storeshed and domestic offices attached
House (attached to St Mary's C of E School), 1878, by John Douglas for
1st Duke of Westminster. Asymmetrical, late Tudor style, largely
sandstone but with oak-framed upper storey to projecting front gable
and tile hanging between upper and lower red tile roofs. 2 shaped
sandstone and brown brick chimneys. Windows in stone walls have
shaped mullions and arched lights; oak mullioned window to front
bedroom with pentice roof over; patterned leaded glazing in iron
casements. 9-panel shaped door with moulded muntins, stiles and rails
and ornate wrought iron hinges and handle. Incised text in beam of
left gable. House stands with St Mary's C of E School (q.v) on
terrace with retaining wall (q.v.).
Interior: Painted dogleg newel staircase with moulded flat balusters.
6 panel doors with moulded muntins, stiles and rails.
Stone walled back yard with 1-storey outbuilding of stone and brick.
Listing NGR: SJ 41118 62611
Other nearby listed buildings