History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Flaxyards Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Tarporley, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1578 / 53°9'28"N

Longitude: -2.6506 / 2°39'2"W

OS Eastings: 356592

OS Northings: 362494

OS Grid: SJ565624

Mapcode National: GBR 7M.54N4

Mapcode Global: WH99P.8W1J

Entry Name: Flaxyards Farmhouse

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Last Amended: 19 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138472

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57226

Location: Tarporley, Cheshire West and Chester, CW6

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Tarporley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Tarporley St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tarporley

Listing Text

SJ 56 SE RUSHTON CP ROYAL LANE

1/32
Flaxyards Farmhouse
(formerly listed
as Flaxyards)
3.1.67

- II

The address shall be amended to read:
RHUDDAL HEATH

Flaxyards Farmhouse
(formerly listed
as Flaxyards)

------------------------------------

SJ 56 SE RUSHTON C.P. ROYAL LANE

1/32 Flaxyards Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
Flaxyards)
3.1.67

- II

Farmhouse. Dated 1665 on gable bressumer of one wing with later Cl7 or
early C18 and mid C18 additions and alterations. Red Flemish bond
brick and coursed red sandstone with slate roof. Two storeys with
attic.
Entrance front: four bays. Lateral gabled bays with near-symmetrical
central portion. The central 2 bays and that at the right are of
brick. The left hand gabled wing is of stone. This stone wing of
late C17 or early C18 date has two ground floor and one first floor
and one attic window all of C19 date and all of 2 casement lights.
The central mid C17 portion has a door to the right of centre of 4
sunken panels with a C19 gabled porch above. To either side are
3-light C20 windows with flat-arched heads, the voussoirs being formed
of 2 rows of vertically placed stretchers. To the first floor are two
3-light C20 windows, originally of less width as indicated by the
cambered splayed heads. Above is a band of three bricks depth with
projecting headers. The right hand gable wing of 1665 but apparently
replaced on this facade in the C18 or C19 has a 3-light ground floor
C20 window and a similar to the first floor. To the far left is a C20
wall flush with the front and having a ramped cresting. Rear:
projecting gabled wings at right and left, that at left of stone, the
rest of brick with a stone plinth. The right hand gable end has two
cross attic windows and a brick gable stack. The central portion has
a central door and 3-light casements to either side with flat-arched
heads and cambered 3-light first floor windows. There is a band at
eaves level as at the entrance front. The left hand gable ended wing
has a flat-arched doorway at the right and one cambered-headed first
floor window. There is a timber framed gable above with a dated
collar beam and small framing and V-strutting.

Listing NGR: SJ5659262494

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.