This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3044 / 53°18'15"N
Longitude: -2.2387 / 2°14'19"W
OS Eastings: 384188
OS Northings: 378628
OS Grid: SJ841786
Mapcode National: GBR DZT7.36
Mapcode Global: WHBBF.L64M
Entry Name: Church of St Phillip
Listing Date: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58218
Location: Alderley Edge, Cheshire East, SK9
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Alderley Edge
Built-Up Area: Wilmslow
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Alderley Edge St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 87 NW ALDERLEY EDGE C.P. CHURCH LANE
4/52 Church of St. Phillip.
Church: 1853 and south aisle and spire 1857 by J S Crowther, vestry
added 1903 by F P Oakley. Hammer-dressed sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings. Roof of bands of green, grey, and blue-grey slates and a
pierced ridge. Decorated style with reticulated tracery. 6-bay nave
and aisles, each under own ridge, 3-bay chancel, hexagonal vestry and
4-stage south-west tower and spire. Aisles have bays, divided by
buttresses, each containing a 2-light window. Similar chancel but
with priest's door with trefoil cusped head and ornate iron hinges,
and ending in diagonal buttresses with crocketted pinnacles. East
window of 4-lights has ogee shaped hood. Tower has angle buttresses.
Deeply rebated porch door on 3 colonnettes has label mould on carved
head stops, single lights in next 2 stages and ornate surrounds to
2-light lourved bell openings. Tall spire has 3 levels of lucarnes.
Interior: 6-bay arcade has round columns to north aisle and octagonal
to south. Chancel arch stands on engaged semi-hexagonal columns.
Chancel has a sedilia on the south wall and a piscina on the north
both with trefoil cusped heads. Finely carved reredos of Last Supper
(of 1903) and delicate panelling to simple choir stalls, pulpit and
organ screen of 1907. Morris window of 1873 in south aisle. Wagon
Though built in 2 stages the church must have been conceived as a
whole and has a powerful exterior, correct in its detailing by the
co-author with Bowman of Churches of the Middle Ages.
Listing NGR: SJ8418878628
Other nearby listed buildings