This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2048 / 52°12'17"N
Longitude: 0.1165 / 0°6'59"E
OS Eastings: 544728
OS Northings: 258396
OS Grid: TL447583
Mapcode National: GBR L79.L9P
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.YVY5
Entry Name: King's College, Chapel
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47164
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Edward King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4458 SE 6/267 26.4.50.
The Chapel was built between 1446 and 1515, and the glass was added between
1515 and 1531. The woodwork was made between 1532 and 1575. The building
is an outstanding example of the craftsmanship of the period and all the
fittings are noteworthy. The fan-vault of the roof was designed and built
by John Wastell, master-mason 1512-15. The timber roof was built by Martin
Prentice and Richard Russel 1508-15; it is of 24 bays. The East end and
altar were remodelled in the general internal restoration of 1968. There
are several good C16 doors with fine locks and other iron fittings. C18
font. The windows form one of the finest and most complete sets of late
medieval stained glass in Europe. The side-chapel glass is, however, mostly
modern. Brass eagle lectern, early C16 with candle sconces added by Butterfield
and a base by Rattee in 1854. Organ by Renee Harris, 1688. Screen of magnificent
oak carving, 1533-36 with the central doors of 1636. Choir stalls of oak,
1533-6. The Chapel was paved with marble 1702 and Portland stone 1775.
Monument to John Churchill, only son of Duke of Marlborough, died 1702.
Listing NGR: TL4472858395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings