History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stoak, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2534 / 53°15'12"N

Longitude: -2.8653 / 2°51'55"W

OS Eastings: 342365

OS Northings: 373283

OS Grid: SJ423732

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZFT.GG

Mapcode Global: WH881.YHR6

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 1 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55417

Location: Stoak, Cheshire West and Chester, CH2

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Stoak

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Ellesmere Port Team

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Wervin

Listing Text

SJ 47SW STOAK C.P. CHURCH LANE

4/34 Church of St Lawrence

1.6.67

GV II*

Church mostly 1827 by George Edgecumbe, chancel is Perpendicular. On
site of Saxon chapel. Red sandstone, slate roofs. Cruciform plan,
west tower, nave, north and south transepts, chancel. Embattled and
buttressed tower in C15th style. West end has arched door with
rectangular hood, deeply recessed, 2-light hooded window, clock in
lozenge tablet, 2-light bell opening with rectangular hood. Nave has
4 rectangular hooded windows, in deep recesses, 2 of 2 lights, 2 of
one light, alternating and between stepped buttresses. South transept
has 3-light Perpendicular style window. 1 bay chancel has east window
of 3 lights, with panel tracery. Side windows have 2 cusped lights.
Memorial tablet on east wall to Thomas Hill of Stanney, 1809,
inscription is on urn in shallow relief, on triangular ground. Square
apron supported on stone brackets has inscription to Ann Hill, his
wife, 1829. North wall of chancel has inscription RM ST CH[URCH] W
[ARDENS] 1698. Interior. Hammer beam roof, of 3½ bays in nave and l½
bays in transepts. Altar 1686/7 has twisted legs and plain bottom
rail. Altar rail probably of similar date has twisted balusters and
moulded rail. Octagonal panelled pulpit, late C17th or early C18th,
on later base. Benches round font have twisted and turned legs,
probably early C18th. Fragments of early C16th rood screen with
openwork cusped arches, in 1827 gallery. 11 memorial tablets, painted
on wood, probably by Randle Holmes, dating 1627-1702, largely to
Bunbury family. Tablet, 1685, gift of the poor, painted on wood. One
hatchment, painted on wood. Wall tablet, 1668, to Henry Bunbury and
family. Marble, oval tablet. Wall tablet, 1682, to Thomas Bunbury
marble, square tablet on painted marble ground. Wall monument to
Henry Bunbury, dated 1732, erected by his family. Marble, large
elaborate cartouche contains Bunbury arms below scroll pediment.


Listing NGR: SJ4236573283

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.