This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2124 / 53°12'44"N
Longitude: -2.6598 / 2°39'35"W
OS Eastings: 356032
OS Northings: 368577
OS Grid: SJ560685
Mapcode National: GBR 7M.1ND9
Mapcode Global: WH99H.3JP4
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139159
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57441
Location: Delamere, Cheshire West and Chester, CW8
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Delamere and Oakmere
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Delamere St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
DELAMERE C.P. CHESTER ROAD
SJ 56 NE
6/15 Church of St Peter
Church: dated 1817 on tower by James Gunnery at the expense of the
Freemasons, much altered 1878 and vestry of 1915 (Pevsner and Hubbard).
Ashlar buff Manley sandstone. Welsh slate roof. 2-bay nave and south
aisle, short transepts, 1-bay chancel, south porch against west tower.
Decorated style. Gabled porch has broadly moulded 2-centred arched
entrance on colonettes. 3-light rectangular nave windows have
trefoil-headed lights. Transept has diagonal buttresses and a 3-light
window with reticulated tracery and a label mould. 2-light
rectangular window with similar tracery. 4-light east window. North
side has a window with Y-tracery from the original building. Small
tower has diagonal buttresses and simple bands at each stage. Very
plain, chamfered 2-light windows and lancets. Embattled parapet on
band with gargoyles; pyramidal cap to tower.
Interior: Entry into internal porch and area under the tower.
Beneath west window is brass plaque recording the laying of the
foundation stone and the architect's name. Short nave has west end
with tower arch flanked by doorways with Caernarvon arches. 2-bay
arcade to south aisle on plain column. Wide chancel has 2 pierced
Gothic arch-braced trusses.
Listing NGR: SJ5603268577
Other nearby listed buildings