This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9429 / 52°56'34"N
Longitude: -1.3507 / 1°21'2"W
OS Eastings: 443733
OS Northings: 338582
OS Grid: SK437385
Mapcode National: GBR 7G5.FCL
Mapcode Global: WHDGW.7928
Entry Name: Church of All Saints vergers Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140436
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352230
Location: Dale Abbey, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE7
Civil Parish: Dale Abbey
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton-by-Dale St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF DALE ABBEY THE VILLAGE
SK 43 NW
5/26 (East Side)
Church of All Saints
10.11.67 and Vergers Farm-
Parish church and attached farmhouse. Late C12, C14, C15, 1634
and mid-C19. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone
dressings, and red brick with psuedo-timber framed upper parts.
Plain tile roofs, coped gable to east. House has brick gable
and lateral stacks. One and two storeys. Church to east.
Nave, chancel and south aisle. South elevation has a two storey
gabled bay to right with brick to first floor and rendered
gable. Small wooden bellcote above. Ground floor has a plainly
chamfered round-arched doorway with studded plank door. One
2-light casement window above. To the left a 2-light Perp
window with square head. House to the right slightly set back,
has to the ground floor a large 2-light casement window.
Pseudo-timber framed jettied upper floor has one 2-light gabled
half dormer. Entrance bay set back to right. East elevation
has a gabled bay to right with a 3-light shallowly pointed C14
window with cusped ogee tracery. The south side has an external
staircase leading to the upper gallery. Interior: The nave and
aisle are entirely covered by an upper floor or gallery. The
ceiling has finely moulded beams. Stud partition between nave
and aisle, with moulded upright. Stud partition to the east, in
the form of a screen with 3-lights either side of the entrance
through to the chancel. Box pews in the chancel and aisle.
Rough open seated pews in the nave and south aisle, possibly
C17. C17 pulpit, reading desk and clerk's pew, uniquely placed
behind the altar. Wall paintings, late C13, on the north wall.
The Annunciation, Visitation and Nativity. Restored in 1931.
On the south wall an illegible painted text. C15 octagonal
stone font with shields and carved figures in high relief around
the bowl. Solid base, cut away at the angles and with
colonnettes. Badly worn incised tomb slab leaning against the
west wall. Fragments of medieval stained glass in the tracery
lights of the north window. The gallery has timber framed walls
and C19 tiered pews. Chamfered beamed ceiling. The history of
the chapel is uncertain, but it may have been the infirmary and
infirmary chapel of the abbey.
Listing NGR: SK4373338582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings