This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3751 / 50°22'30"N
Longitude: -4.2483 / 4°14'53"W
OS Eastings: 240225
OS Northings: 55212
OS Grid: SX402552
Mapcode National: GBR NR.TLML
Mapcode Global: FRA 18Z1.QQT
Entry Name: East Clift House west Clift House
Listing Date: 26 January 1987
Last Amended: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61660
Location: Antony, Cornwall, PL11
Civil Parish: Antony
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Antony
Church of England Diocese: Truro
S x 45 NW
Clift Farmhouse and Clift
The address shall be amended to read:
SX 45 NW ANTONY
3/ East Clift House and
West Clift House
SX 45 NW ANTONY
3/1 Clift Farmhouse and Clift Cottage
Farmhouse, now farmhouse and house. Probably early C16 origin, substantially
remodelled in 1650 (dated on fireplace in inner room), with some C19 and C20
alterations. Rubble, rendered, slate roofs with large rendered stacks, at gable end
to left, front lateral hall stack and front lateral stack to lower end, gable end
stack to rear wing to right.
Possibly originally an open-hall house (without evidence) with 3 rooms and through
passage, upper end to left, lower end to right. In 1650, the front bay of the hall
and inner room was extended, doorframes, granite fireplaces and plasterwork of this
date, and stair tower added to rear of inner room, and rear wing added to lower end.
The lower end has a lower roof level, there was formerly a fireplace in the hall
backing on to the passage, probably dis-used when front lateral stack constructed.
Probably mid C18 a rear: outshut was built, and C19 alterations were made to the
windows. The house was divided, probably late C19/early C20, Clift Farmhouse being
the upper end, passage and lower end Clift Cottage.
2 storeys, front has 2 windows to left, at ground floor a 3-light casement and 20-
pane sash, at first floor two 2-light C19 casements; roof hipped to right over
projecting bay. Wall stepped back to hall stack with oven at base, 3-light casement
to right at ground floor and 2-light casement at first floor. Roof level stepped
down over passage with C20 porch with pitched roof and door, single light to right
and above; front lateral kitchen stack and single light at first floor to right. At
left end, a wide external stack. Rear of inner room has 2-light casement at ground
and first floor; stair tower set back to left with C20 door, at first floor a 3-light
timber casement with ovolo mullions. Gable end of stair tower in slatestone rubble
with C20 2-light window at first floor, single storey rubble outhouse attached to
end. Right end rebuilt mid C19, with 3 gabled dormers, 3-light and central 2-light
central door with segmental head, 4-light casement to left and 3-light to right with
brick segmental heads. The rear has a C17 2-storey one-room plan rear kitchen wing
to left with wide external gable end stack; between this wing to left and the stair
tower to right, a 2-storey rear service addition with pitched roof, also with
external stack; this has a small 4-pane light under eaves to left and 2-light
casement to right, 2-light casement at ground floor right and later C19 single storey
addition to rear of stack. The outhouse attached to end right has blocked door and
ventilation slit in gable end, with brick ridge stack.
Interior: Both house have unusually fine features of the 1650 remodelling. The
through passage has a stone floor, doorway to hall to left has ovolo-moulded frame
with double round and straight cut stops, 8-panelled door with raised fillets and
studs, strap hinges; all C17 doors of this type. Clift Cottage has a straight stair
inserted to right of passage, 2-room plan, C19 hob grates in first floor fireplace.
In Clift Farmhouse, the inner room has agranite fireplace, ovolo-moulded, with
central shield with raised carved chalice and jug with initials RWGW 1650. The door
between the inner room and the stair tower is of 1650 type, with decorative metal
plate on wooden lock. Similar door between stair tower (which forms ante-room) and
hall, with 3 steps down, this door has fleur-de-lys strap hinges. The hall has
ovolo-moulded ceiling beams, nd an ovolo-moulded doorway to the rear addition.
Stair tower has an unusually wide dog-leg stair; at first floor, similar doorway to
room to end left, with ovolo-moulded and scroll-stopped frame, this room has a
plaster frieze with roll-mouldings, and a granite fireplace with plaster overmantel.
This has a scrolled surround to a circular cartouche showing the pelican in her
piety, the fireplace with scroll-mouldings to jambs and triangular motif in frieze.
The hall chamber was divided in two in 1650, both doors similar, but narrower,
without stops to ovolo-moulded frames; room to left has similar plaster frieze, room
to right has C19 fireplace using flue from end stack not front lateral stack. There
is a small chamber over the stair well, with 2-bay roof with principal rafters and
one row of purlins One principal has moulded coving to inner side. 6-bay roof
over hall has principal rafters and cambered pegged collars, apexes cut for C19 ridge
purlin and 2 rows of purlins. Rest of roof not accessible.
Listing NGR: SX4022555212
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings