This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3374 / 50°20'14"N
Longitude: -4.5092 / 4°30'33"W
OS Eastings: 221534
OS Northings: 51620
OS Grid: SX215516
Mapcode National: GBR NC.X5L7
Mapcode Global: FRA 18F4.R2T
Entry Name: Killigarth Manor
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Last Amended: 26 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140790
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61468
Location: Polperro, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Polperro
Built-Up Area: Polperro
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Talland
Church of England Diocese: Truro
5/3 Killigarth Manor (formerly
27.8.52 listed as Killigarth House)
Manor house, now holiday accommodation. 1872 (datestone). Reused dressed stone
from earlier manor house. Possible that part of core of earlier house may have been
remodelled rather than rebuilt. Stuccoed stone rubble with granite dressings.
Rusticated quoins. Slate roof with gabled ends to each of the 3 ranges. Pyramid
slate roof to original entrance tower.
Two parallel ranges forming double depth plan, with third range across the left-hand
end and a tower originally the entrance porch at the opposite right-hand end. House
now divided into holiday flats.
2 storeys asymmetrical 5-window west front with much reused dressed stone from
earlier manor house. Comprises gable end of cross wing on left and west front of
double depth range on right. Ground floor with reused 3-light granite window with
hollow-chamfered jambs and hoodmould on left. Flanked by reused pilasters with
ionic volutes at bases. Datestone to right, '1662'. Porch to left of centre, of
stone rubble with slate roof with gable end, reused 2-light mullion window with
hollow-chamfered jambs on front and single-light window in right-hand side wall.
Reused 3-centred arch in left-hand side wall with chamfered jambs with ball stops
with run-out stops below. Inner door with 3-centred granite arch with heavy
rollmould. At centre and to right 4-light and 3-light granite mullion windows with
hollow-chamfered jambs and segmental arched openings. Hoodmoulds and flanking reused
pilasters with volutes below. Between openings, C20 garage doors in wide opening
with hoodmould. First floor with three 6-pane sashes with hoodmoulds and flanking
4-pane sash to left of centre and tall stair window with segmental arched opening to
right of centre.
On the south elevation a square tower of 3 stages projects slightly off centre from
the double gable end of the main range. The tower has rusticated quoins which are
chamfered on the ground floor and alternate above. The entrance, although blocked,
retains its reused 3-centred chamfered arch with unusual stops. The arch has
probably been heightened. Above is a panel comprising of an arcade of blind
trefoiled arches with a datestone 1872 above. Segmental arched sashes in side walls
and in first stage. Roundels in second stage. Dentilled string course and modillion
cornice to pyramid roof with shaped slates and slender wooden cupola with ogee
hexagonal dome with ball at apex and wrought iron finial. Rear garden elevation
front to east with symmetrical 2-window front with canted bay windows on ground floor
and sashes on first.
Interior not accessible at time of inspection.
Property of John de Kylgat, Bearers, Bevills and Grenvilles (qv Talland Church).
Manor house reputed to have been demolished after 1820. Possible site to west.
Present house erected 1872. However, J. Couch in his History of Polperro, published
in 1871 after his death describes Killigarth Manor in detail. He includes a
description of a fine room, used as a sleeping compartment with vaulted ceiling with
longitudinal and transverse mouldings, decorated with paintings of the History of
Additionally C17 records record the existance of a bell tower.
Listing NGR: SX2153451620
Other nearby listed buildings