This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4794 / 50°28'45"N
Longitude: -4.3916 / 4°23'29"W
OS Eastings: 230409
OS Northings: 67132
OS Grid: SX304671
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.M5T1
Mapcode Global: FRA 17PS.GXC
Entry Name: Trebeigh Manor
Listing Date: 26 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61356
Location: St. Ive, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: St. Ive
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Ive
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 36 NW ST IVE
7/155 Trebeigh Manor
Manor house now farmhouse with store on south. Circa late C16. Rubblestone rendered
on south front. Slate and asbestos slate roof with hipped end to main range and
galvanised roof to projecting wing on right with gable end. Rubblestone stack on
right-hand hipped end and 2 slate hung rubblestone stacks with moulded caps on
left-hand hipped end and to gabled rear lateral hall stack. 'L' shaped plan with
projecting front wing now used as dairy and store. Main range probably 3 room and
through passage plan with hall in centre. Passage blocked with later staircase.
Later outshuts added to rear. 2 storeys, regular 5 window front.
Ground floor of main range with 6-pane French window on left, late C19 3-light
casement near centre in granite mullioned. hall window opening extended at base.
Triple roll moulded jambs. C20 porch in angle with projecting wing on right.
Rendered with lean-to slate roof. Continuous hoodmould above ground floor. Three
C19 3-light casements with glazing bars on first floor. Central light of right-hand
window replaced. Projecting wing on right-hand side with several blocked openings
and straight joints. Ground floor with 2-light casement with iron stanchion bars
beneath brick segmental arch. Near centre, plank door with large granite quoins and
timber lintel. Straight joint to right. To right, partly blocked opening in granite
surround with moulded granite jambs. Hoodmould above with carved labels. Above, C19
3-light casement on left beneath timber lintel. Opening to left of centre much
altered, in larger opening. Rubblestone buttress on south east corner with granite
dressings. To rear, window to left of projecting lateral stack 3-light casement with
glazing bars in granite surround with moulded granite jambs as on front.
Interior: Hall fireplace blocked. First floor with moulded granite frame to niche at
top of stairs. Base of jambs decorated with combination of nail-head and dog-tooth
patterns. Roof structure not inspected. Directly south of entrance 2 pieces of
circa C17 carved slate. Several pieces of carved granite possibly associated with
preceptory including a Maltese Cross in a granite window frame.
Domesday manor, held wrongfully by Count of Mortain who had taken it from the church.
In 1150 King Stephen gave the Knights Templars the Manor of Trebeigh together with
Temple on Bodmin Moor, forming the Preceptory of Trebeigh. The Preceptory was given
the advowson of the parish church of St Ive. In 1312 the Knights Hopitallers became
the new owners. Accounts found in Malta for the Hospitallers of St Ive in 1338
record dovecotes, honey and the prices of animals and grain. Dissolved in c1534 but
restored again in 1557 by Queen Mary. In 1573 the manor was granted to Henry Wilbye
and George Blyke. John Wrey then acquired Trebeigh making it the chief residence of
the Wrey family until the mid C17. Under the Earl of Moreton, and his successors the
manor enjoyed almost royal privileges with its own court Leet with Stewart, bailiff
and prison bailiff and prison.
Ed. J. Morris Domesday Book 1086 rp 1979
J Polsue Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73, rp 1974
J S Wenmoth 'The Historic Stone' Parish Pump 1980
Listing NGR: SX3040967132
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings