This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4208 / 50°25'14"N
Longitude: -4.4757 / 4°28'32"W
OS Eastings: 224229
OS Northings: 60810
OS Grid: SX242608
Mapcode National: GBR NF.QVK8
Mapcode Global: FRA 17JY.06C
Entry Name: Church of St Keyne
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61391
Location: St. Keyne, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: St. Keyne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Keyne
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 26 SW ST KEYNE ST KEYNE
10/191 Church of St Keyne
Parish Church. Circa C15 possibly on site of earlier cruciform church. Heavily
restored in 1868-77 by J P St Aubyn. Coursed slatestone partly rebuilt on south wall
of nave, east end of chancel, south transept and south porch. Slate roof with lower
slate roof to chancel. Comprises nave, chancel, three bay north aisle, west tower
and south porch. South transept now forms vestry. West tower of 3 stages with
moulded granite plinth and strings. Battlemented parapet with crocketted pinnacles.
West door with moulded granite 2-centred arch with hood and labels. C19 door with
ornate hinges. Above, 3-light Perpendicular west window with tracery partly
replaced. Hood and labels. 2-light belfry openings beneath segmental arches with
chamfered jambs. North aisle with high plinth. West window of 2-light granite
Perpendicular tracery partly restored. 2-centred arch with hood and labels. Blocked
north door in 3-centred chamfered arch in rectangular hollow chamfered surround.
Trefoils in spandrels. Above, 1-light opening probably with reset early C14 cusped
ogee head. Two 2-light Perpendicular north aisle windows each with two 3-centred
arches with chamfered arches and jambs in rectangular surrounds. Perpendicular 3-
light window in east end of north aisle. Chancel; east window 3-light Perpendicular
tracery with restored hood. South window circa C19 Perpendicular tracery. South
transept with 2-light C19 tracery in gable end. Ornate C19 slate barge boards above.
South side of nave, C19. Decorated window of 2-lights with quatrefoil. To west of
porch single light with foiled head. South porch; gabled roof with ornate slate
bargeboards. Inner shallow segmental arch chamfered with pyramid stops. Hood
possibly reset with 2 heads as label stops and third at apex. Possibly remains from
earlier church which stood on site.
Interior C19 roof with scissor braces and cambered collars with arch bracing. C19
waggon roof to south porch. 3 bay north arcade with type A (Pevsner) moulded piers,
moulded bases and caps. Segmental moulded arches. Tower arch, pointed with tall
moulded bases and type A (Pevsner) moulding to engaged piers. C19 furnishings. C15
octagonal font with bowl lined with lead with octagonal stem and base. In east
window of north aisle, circa C15 glass in top light with 2 shields of arms each
bearing Kendall impaling others.
Bells; 6 bells, 2 recast when church restored. Fourth and oldest bell inscribed
WIL : LARKE : TO : ANGER. Warden T.P.J.P. 1663.
On outside wall of north aisle, reset slate stone of John Edgcumbe died 1770. Also
slate memorial to John Hicks, died 1800. Well engraved.
Sites and monuments register records old communion table in vestry.
Possibly stands on Lan.
N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed. 1980
Site and Monuments Register, Truro.
J Polsue Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974
H B Walters Church of England Schedule of Bell for Preservation 1978
Listing NGR: SX2422960810
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings