History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine House at Approx 50m West of Wheal Bush Farmhouse,killifreth Mine.

A Grade II Listed Building in Chacewater, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2487 / 50°14'55"N

Longitude: -5.1764 / 5°10'35"W

OS Eastings: 173639

OS Northings: 43572

OS Grid: SW736435

Mapcode National: GBR Z6.0KC9

Mapcode Global: FRA 081C.P4T

Entry Name: Engine House at Approx 50m West of Wheal Bush Farmhouse,killifreth Mine.

Listing Date: 3 May 1967

Last Amended: 3 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1140974

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63097

Location: Chacewater, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Chacewater

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Chacewater

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Chacewater

Listing Text

CHACEWATER
SW 74 SW
4/39 Engine house at approx 50m west of
Wheal Bush Farmhouse,Killifreth Mine.
30.5.67 (Formerly listed as part of two
engine houses at New Shaft,
Killifreth Mine)
GV II
Beam engine house ruin. Circa mid-late C19. Mostly killas rubble with granite
quoins, jambstones and bonding stones and mostly dressed coursed granite facing to bob
(south east) wall. Round 2-stage chimney to north corner. Round brick arches over
openings and brick upper stage to chimney. Originally with gable ended roof; now
roofless and floorless. Rectangular single-cell plan with thicker bob wall to south
east and round chimney adjoining north corner. Originally 3 storeys. Walls virtually
intact except for what was framed and weather-boarded wall and gable end over bob
wall. First and second floor of north west side retain outer frames of original
windows. Brick collar divides chimney stages.
This engine house, probably for operating a whim, is part of Unity Wood and Killifreth
Mines, re-opened in 1865.


Listing NGR: SW7363943572

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.