This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2667 / 50°16'0"N
Longitude: -4.9149 / 4°54'53"W
OS Eastings: 192360
OS Northings: 44813
OS Grid: SW923448
Mapcode National: GBR ZP.V877
Mapcode Global: FRA 08LB.91C
Entry Name: Almshouses
Listing Date: 30 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62939
Location: Tregoney, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: Tregoney
Built-Up Area: Tregony
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Tregony with St Cuby
Church of England Diocese: Truro
571/5/110 TREGONY HILL
30-MAY-85 (South side)
Almshouses. Erected 1696 by Hugh Boscawen and restored in 1895 to plans drawn up by Silvanus Trevail.
Slatestone rubble, granite dressings and Delabole slate roof with external stone stacks to gable ends and external stone lateral stacks with small slate gables. Long single depth 4 room plan with open gallery along first floor front. 2 storeys. North west street front has open wooden gallery with wooden posts and close boarded balustrade of 1895,supported by 6 short granite pillars on granite coped rubble wall. Access up short flight of granite steps between middle 2 closer set pillars. Original chamfered granite framed openings of door, window, window, door off centre to right and door far right. Mullions to windows removed. Other openings to ground floor are probably 1895 or later. Partly enclosed stone rubble stair turret in original position to left with 1895 dogleg stair. Return wall to far right ends short of main range. First floor doors may be in original positions. Main roof sprocketed to give lower pitch over gallery. South east 5 window front is little altered apart from some replaced stonework and possible rebuilding of upper part of chimneys. Lateral stack between windows 1 and 2 and windows 3 and 4 with original chamfered granite doorframe slightly left of centre between stacks. 2 light granite mullion window to left of door. All others have 3 lights and ones to ground floor have rebates for shutters. All original and little restored. Leaded glazing is probably 1895. C20 rendered buttress to left lateral stack.
Simple interior. Roof not inspected.
Sources:- West Briton, 16th August 1894
Listing NGR: SW9236044812
Other nearby listed buildings