History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Custom House strand House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hugh town, Isles of Scilly

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 49.915 / 49°54'54"N

Longitude: -6.3142 / 6°18'50"W

OS Eastings: 90408

OS Northings: 10573

OS Grid: SV904105

Mapcode National: GBR BXSX.BLN

Mapcode Global: VGYC4.HDTH

Entry Name: Custom House strand House

Listing Date: 12 February 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141180

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62507

Location: St. Mary's, Isles of Scilly, TR21

County: Isles of Scilly

Civil Parish: St. Mary's

Built-Up Area: Hugh town

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Isles of Scilly

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Hugh Town

Listing Text

ST. MARY'S

SV9010 LOWER STRAND, Hugh Town
1358-0/8/68 (North side)
12/02/75 Strand House and Custom House

GV II

Two houses, now guest house, custom house and club. Early C19,
partly
remodelled 1927 by Richardson and Gill for Duchy of Cornwall
estate. Coursed granite rubble clad in colourwashed render and
stucco; hipped slate roof; rendered ridge stacks. Double-depth
plan with 2 rear wings flanking yard. 2 storeys. 3-window
first-floor range to Lower Strand has c1986 plastic door and
windows. Granite steps with iron railings and gates to further
recessed bay on right which has 6/6-pane sash to right of
6-panelled door with glazed upper panels and tripartite
fanlight set doorcase with half-columns and capitals to flat
hood; right return wall has similar sash. Another recessed bay
to right has channelled rustication to ground floor with
horned 3/3-pane sash beneath plat band and first floor with
rusticated quoins and bracketed cornice over horned 3/3-pane
sash. Lean-to to right has 6/6-pane sash to front and, to
right return wall, four 6/6-pane sashes to right of round
window above Royal Arms and door with side lights. Interior:
includes early C19 cornicing and, to first floor of Strand
House, moulded architraves to shutters.
Richardson and Gill's alterations were consequent to the
moving of the custom house from the rear of the Atlantic Hotel
(q.v.).


Listing NGR: SV9040810573

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.