History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lodge Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chelmsford, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6978 / 51°41'52"N

Longitude: 0.4494 / 0°26'57"E

OS Eastings: 569368

OS Northings: 202736

OS Grid: TL693027

Mapcode National: GBR PKX.DFV

Mapcode Global: VHJK7.QLX9

Entry Name: Lodge Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 December 1978

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352504

Location: Chelmsford, Essex, CM2

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

Town: Chelmsford

Electoral Ward/Division: Goat Hall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Galleywood St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Baddow

Listing Text

1.
5213 GOAT HALL LANE
Lodge Farmhouse
TL 60 SE 8/157

II*

2.
Circa 1280-circa 1330 house. Timber framed and plastered except south wall
which is clad with black weather-boards. Of 2-storeys and 4 bays with front
(west) elevation re-styled about 1900. Central front door with casements either
side. Range of 3 matching casements on the lst storey. Roof steeply pitched
and ridged with hipped southern and gabletted northern ends. Two red brick
chimney stacks against the rear (east) wall, from which a single storeyed extension
projects with gabled and tiled roof. Containing the complete frame of the
4 bay medieval house with storeyed end-bays retaining their lodged floors of
exceptionally big joists. The 2 central bays were the open hall and its tall
diagonally mullioned side windows are visible on the existing 1st floor. The
storey-posts have jowls of the earliest type (of Priory Place, Little Dunmow)
and the arch-braces of the open frame spanning the hall were evidently of great
size and steeply pitched arcature. The top-plates are prominently scarfed
with the stop-splayed and tabled joint having under-squinted butts and lateral
wedges that is known only between the dates cited. The roof is entirely original
and has 2 crown-posts that are boldly down-braced to their tie-beams and a
gabletted smoke vent survives at the north end. The side walls of the hall
are remarkable in that the cross-entry doorways to east and west are framed
into the side-girts and storey-posts whilst the remaining bay of the hall is
similarly 'arcaded' beneath the girt - on both sides, the bay lengths are unusual
in that from south to north they measure approximately 15 ft. Service, 6 ft
cross-entry, 9 ft. Hall and 15 ft. Solar. This house is a remarkable survival
in an urban area and in an almost complete and unaltered state.


Listing NGR: TL6936802736

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.