History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Marconi's First Radio Factory

A Grade II Listed Building in Chelmsford, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7294 / 51°43'45"N

Longitude: 0.4747 / 0°28'29"E

OS Eastings: 571002

OS Northings: 206305

OS Grid: TL710063

Mapcode National: GBR PKK.DW4

Mapcode Global: VHJK2.5STM

Entry Name: Marconi's First Radio Factory

Listing Date: 6 February 1974

Last Amended: 14 December 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352506

Location: Chelmsford, Essex, CM2

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

Town: Chelmsford

Electoral Ward/Division: Moulsham and Central

Built-Up Area: Chelmsford

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Moulsham St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Chelmsford

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/11/2016

TL 7006 SE 5/63
TL 70 NW 7/63

HALL STREET
The Old Silk Mill Building and 1 Hall Street
Marconi's First Radio Factory

(Formerly listed as The Old Silk Mill Building and 1 Hall Street, previously listed as "Marconi" Radio Factory, HALL STREET, and previously listed as Marconi's first radio factory under Hall Street/Mildmay Road)

6.2.74.

II
Former silk mill, built by John Hall of Coggeshall in 1856. Acquired by the Courtaulds of Braintree in 1865, then by Marconi in 1899 and used as the world’s first wireless factory. Of gault brick with parapetted south facade having Tuscan pilasters and partly stuccoed entablature with brick dentil course over radiused corner. Brick plinth. Two-storeys with metal industrial type windows having glazing bars and segmental brick arches. Roof clad with slate, plan roughly square with one curved corner. Plaque on the east wall commemorates Marconi's first factory. Converted into 6 flats and a commercial unit in 2016.

Listing NGR: TL7100206305

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.