History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chelmsford, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7438 / 51°44'37"N

Longitude: 0.4872 / 0°29'13"E

OS Eastings: 571810

OS Northings: 207936

OS Grid: TL718079

Mapcode National: GBR PKC.Q08

Mapcode Global: VHJK2.DFFK

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 20 May 1949

Last Amended: 14 December 1978

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141369

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352494

Location: Chelmsford, Essex, CM1

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

Town: Chelmsford

Electoral Ward/Division: The Lawns

Built-Up Area: Chelmsford

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Springfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Chelmsford

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/09/2012


5213
TL 70 NW 7/55
20-5-49


CHURCH LANE
(South Side)
Springfield
THE OLD RECTORY

(Formerly listed under Springfield Green)


II*


Former rectory now house. Lead hopper head on North front dated 1752
with the initials CG for Charles Grettan MA (inducted 2 March 1746).
2 parallel ranges. Red brick in Flemish bond with tiled roof and
brick chimney stack. East elevation of 2 storeys 5 windows. Parapet
with stone coping. Projecting central pediment with ball finials and
end quoins. 1 hipped dormer. 5 12-pane sashes with gauged brick
arches above and decorative brick arches below. Central doorcase
with round-headed fanlight with brackets, 6 panelled door and
sidelights. North elevation has 2 gables with 6 pane sashes. 1st
floor has 3 blocked centre windows and 2 side 12-pane sashes. Ground
floor has a Venetian window. Rear range is of 3 bays with 3 hipped
dormers, round-headed windows on 1st floor and C20 brick extension
to ground floor. Attached to the north front is a red brick garden
wall incorporating a round-headed entrance arch with Keystone and
impost blocks and square gatepiers. To the west of the gatepiers the
wall is about 9 feet high with 6 pilasters. Fine interior to house
including mid C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each tread,
scrolled tread ends, mahogany handrail and modillion cornice and dado
rail. Late C19 plastered front hall with Tudor roses etc. Dining
Room-has a wooden fireplace with eared architraves, central panel
with female head and sunray marble inset. The 2 cupboards were
converted into open recesses in 1823. Front Drawing Room has mid C18
fireplace with console brackets ovolo-moulded cornice and oval
plastered motif to ceiling with fruits in high relief. Elaborate
early C19 cast iron firegrate to 1 attic bedroom. Windows retain
shutters and window seats and there are a series of original doors.

Listing NGR: TL7181007936

The asset was previously listed twice also under the street name Church Street at List entry 1263936. This entry was removed from the List on 8 September 2016.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.