This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6065 / 50°36'23"N
Longitude: -2.4588 / 2°27'31"W
OS Eastings: 367631
OS Northings: 78632
OS Grid: SY676786
Mapcode National: GBR PY.DN2R
Mapcode Global: FRA 57QG.KXH
Entry Name: Old Town Hall with Railings
Listing Date: 12 December 1953
Last Amended: 22 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141923
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467644
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6778NE HIGH STREET
873-1/23/180 (South side)
12/12/53 Old Town Hall, with railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Weymouth Old Town Hall)
Former town hall, now meeting rooms. c1774, extensively
restored and altered 1896. Portland stone, some ashlar, mainly
squared and coursed, tile roof.
EXTERIOR: a 2-storey structure set into the slope to the S in
Chapelhay Street, with small bell turret and porch to the W.
The broad-gabled W front, with saddle-back coping, is set back
from the small square porch/turret with saddle roof to a
pediment over arched bell opening. Below this a 2-light window
is covered by an added clock face, above a plank door in an
arched opening with chamfered surround and keystone. The door
is on 4 stone steps.
The High Street front is in 2 storeys, with 1+3 three-light
chamfered stone mullion and transom windows at each level,
with cast-iron 24-pane casements under a drip-mould,
continuous to the 3 to the right, and sill band at first
floor. In bay 2 is a pair of plank doors to a 4-centred head,
above which is a plaque with a castle and crenellations plus a
coat of arms. Cast-iron gutters.
The S side has plain walling, behind railings, but near the E
end is a haunched gabled face dormer with a 3-light casement
with diagonal panes, and a lofty eaves stack. Over the main W
door is a panel inscribed: 'This town hall being restored AD
1896 Sir Henry Edwards presented the above clock to the
inhabitants of the borough'.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: in front of the building is a triangular
forecourt with cast-iron railings to each side, those to the
right raised on a retaining wall to Chapelhay Street, in 7
bays with fluted standards to cappings and bands at 2 levels
to diagonal rails. This forecourt is approached by 3 stone
HISTORICAL NOTE: there was a town hall here from the C16, and
Buckler's sketch of 1790 shows ogee-headed windows (RCHME); a
print in the NMR shows the S side with 2 dormers and 2 stacks.
(RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 339).
Listing NGR: SY6763178632
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings