This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8381 / 51°50'17"N
Longitude: 0.3113 / 0°18'40"E
OS Eastings: 559335
OS Northings: 218023
OS Grid: TL593180
Mapcode National: GBR NGN.MK7
Mapcode Global: VHHM4.B2Y7
Entry Name: 1,2,3
Listing Date: 17 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141955
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352667
Location: Great Canfield, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Great Canfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Canfield St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 51 NE GREAT CANFIELD CHURCH END
2/43 NOS. 1, 2 AND 3
Early C17 house divided into 3 dwellings, with late C19 alterations, extended
to SW in C20. Timber-framed, walls clad with red plain tiles with bands of
scalloped tiles, roof similarly treated, weatherboarded dado. Main block of
2 bays aligned NE-SW, with crosswing of 2 bays at NE end. Axial chimney
stack in each block and external stack at SW gable of main block, enclosed
in C20 extension. Large porch on NE elevation, with turned balusters and
gabled roof of scalloped tiles, late C19. 2 storeys. SW elevation,
facing church, has one C20 casement window and 4 C19 casement windows at each
floor. C19 canopy to door of No. 3, C19 porch to door of No. 2, similar to
porch already described at No. 1 but with C20 alterations. 3 moulded red
tiles with Maryon-Wilson crest, and another on NE elevation. Stop-chamfered
ceiling beams. Framing exposed internally in only one ground floor room of
No. 2, primary straight bracing and heavy studding. Clasped purlin roof.
No. 1 has a small piece of oak panelling and a similar door, circa 1600,
introduced from another house, probably from Fitzjohns, demolished circa 1900.
The door has contemporary paintings on both sides of strapwork design,
discovered by Miss Leonora Page under plain paint, and 2 hook and ride iron
hinges crudely fitted. Possibly built as a vicarage (Eland, p. 145).
Listing NGR: TL5933518023
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings