This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.056 / 50°3'21"N
Longitude: -5.6247 / 5°37'28"W
OS Eastings: 140648
OS Northings: 23619
OS Grid: SW406236
Mapcode National: GBR DXHJ.NCF
Mapcode Global: VH05N.GV9D
Entry Name: Burnewhall Old Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69644
Location: St. Buryan, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: St. Buryan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Buryan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST BURYAN BURNEWHALL
SW 42 SW
8/91 Burnewhall Old Farmhouse
Farmhouse, now 2 houses. Possibly late medieval remodelled or rebuilt circa early
C17 and extended circa mid and late C17. Granite rubble with granite dressings some
slate hanging. Dry Delabole slate roof on older part on the left (east end) grouted
scantle slate sweeping low over outshut of the taller part on the right but replaced
with corrugated asbestos at its front. Dressed granite chimney over the left-hand
gable end, brick chimneys over the gable ends of the taller part in the right.
Plan: Original house was probably a 3 room with cross passage plan facing north with
its hall and inner room left of the circa early C17 present front doorway. The
lower end (W) room may have become a parlour or the hall in the C17 (2 windows at the
front) and then the house was extended on the right with a large parlour wing with
large windows in its front (ie the rear of the old house). Circa 1700 an outshut
containing a staircase was added in front of this new wing.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Old house has a slightly irregular north front, on its right
is the rear of the later C17 addition. There are many C17 mullioned windows or outer
frames of mullioned windows. Circa early C17 moulded doorway is towards the right of
the old front (now within C19 gable-ended porch). Left of the doorway is a former 2-
light C17 window, farther left a similar C19 window enlarged probably for the
present circa early C19 12-pane sash and there is a later opening farther left.
Right of the doorway is a wide C17 2-light mullioned window (rebated possibly for
shutters) and on the right a former 2-light C17 window, now a doorway with a ledged
door. First floor has 4 window openings. A blocked C17 window on the left and 3
later or altered openings aIl with circa early C19 sashes with glazing bars. Circa
early C19 6-panel door in main doorway.
Rear of old house has approximately central 2-light C17 (possibly stair) window and
another C17 2-light window at ground floor left (surrounded by slatehanging).
Doorway is within C19 porch towards the right and may be cut through a former hall
window position. There is no sign of a doorway opposite the front doorway and much
of the masonry on the right is an old rebuilding. A window under the eaves right of
the porch appears to be chamfered.
South front of circa mid-C17 parlour wing has 2 closely-set 4-light mullioned windows
(with 2 blocked lights), 3-light mullioned windows above. Each first floor window
has a mullion removed to insert later windows and each has a blocked light on its
right. There is another C17 window in the left-hand gable end (now blocked).
Interior: Left-hand end of house has few old features visible. There is a pair of
circa early C19 panelled doors fitted to a possibly blocked window opening in the
front wall of the left-hand room. The wall between 2 of the windows (now door and
window) at far right of old house, is carried on a moulded corbel. There is a circa
1700 2-panel door in doorway with eaved architrave between the parlour wing and its
outshut and a circa 1700 dog-leg stair with turned balusters in the outshut.
Fireplaces are partly blocked. Roof structures not inspected but feet of old trusses
are visible in right-hand end of old part of house.
Listing NGR: SW4064823619
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings