This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.45 / 50°27'0"N
Longitude: -4.9429 / 4°56'34"W
OS Eastings: 191176
OS Northings: 65272
OS Grid: SW911652
Mapcode National: GBR ZN.4LX9
Mapcode Global: FRA 07JV.XV8
Entry Name: Bankside shepherds Purse shepherds Purse and Bankside Including Wool Store and Stables Adjoining South
Listing Date: 30 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144065
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71342
Location: St. Columb Major, Cornwall, TR9
Civil Parish: St. Columb Major
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Columb Major
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST WENN TALSKIDDY
SW 96 NW
Shepherds Purse and
Bankside including Wool
Store and Stables
Pair of Cottages and integral wool store and stables. Circa 1846 rebuilt of
earlier building. Colourwashed cob on stone rubble base. The right hand
(north) end slate rubble with dressed granite quoins and red brick arches.
Slate roofs, half-hipped north end and hipped over right hand (south) range.
Plan: Long range comprising a pair of cottages at left (north) end and an
integral wool store to right with a stable range at right angles at right hand
(south) end. The stables might be an addition after the fire reported in 1840.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Pair of cottages (Shepherds Purse and Bankside) to left
has a symmetrical 3-window front, centre first-floor window divided 2-light
casement with original small 16-pane sashes to left and right. Larger late C19
or C20 sashes on ground floor with vertical glazing bars and pair of C20
glazed doors at centre, the left hand with a canopy on wrought iron brackets.
Wool store to right has doorway on left, central window and wide cart entrance
on right with 3 bay opening above with adjustable wooden louvres. At right
angles on right a 2-storey stable block with a hipped roof and brick cambered
arch openings on ground floor and a small loft doorway above at centre. At the
right hand (east) end of south range a flight of stone steps to a loft doorway.
Interior: not inspected. Historical Note: Said by owner to have been built by a
Mr Allanson from Yorkshire. it is shown on the 1846 tithe map. The West
Briton, (newspaper) of 25 September 1846, reports a fire here - "the premises
were totally destroyed, together with a large quantity of wool, whole of the
working tools and other valuable property to a large amount". Wool stores with
louvred lofts are very unusual in Cornwall.
Listing NGR: SW9117665272
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings