History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Medros Farmhouse methrose Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Luxulyan, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3743 / 50°22'27"N

Longitude: -4.7428 / 4°44'34"W

OS Eastings: 205065

OS Northings: 56312

OS Grid: SX050563

Mapcode National: GBR N1.TZG9

Mapcode Global: FRA 08Y1.XRB

Entry Name: Medros Farmhouse methrose Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Last Amended: 28 August 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144215

English Heritage Legacy ID: 70906

Location: Luxulyan, Cornwall, PL24

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Luxulyan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Luxulyan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Luxulyan

Listing Text

LUXULYAN
SX 05 NE
7/154
- Medros Farmhouse and Methrose
7.1.52 Farmhouse (formerly known as
Methrose)
GV
II*

Farmhouse, now two farmhouses. Circa 1400, with parlour wing to early C16; dated
1676 on plasterwork in chamber over parlour, with remodelling of this period,
including staircase in parlour wing. Kitchen to rear of parlour wing probably of
late C17, and dairy addition to rear of lower end room; later additions and
alterations, including re-roofing of late C20. Granite rubble, parlour wing, hall
bay and stacks in granite ashlar, granite dressings. Partly rendered Spanish slate
roofs, with front lateral stack to later kitchen.
Plan : The house has been divided in 2, with the hall and lower end now Medros, the
parlour wing and original inner room as Methrose; the house could possibly have been
used in this way in the late C17, as it is possible that the lower end and the later
kitchen would have provided facilities for 2 families. The original house had a
through passage, with lower end room to right, heated by gable end stack, and open
hall to left, with inner room to end left, probably originally heated by gable end
stack, the thickness of the wall at this point indicating possible flue position.
There is a recess in the rear wall of the hall which may be the position of the
original hall window in the C15, before the projecting hall bay was built in the
early C16; this window may have been closed as part of a re-orientation of the house,
with the reconstruction of what is now the rear through passage doorway. The rear
passage doorway may have originally been similar to the surviving doorway from the
passage to the lower end room. Circa early C16, the hall bay and the front lateral
stack were built. At this time, the house may have been entered from the north, with
the parlour wing and courtyard to rear south. Circa early C16, the parlour wing of
one-room plan and 2 storeys was built at right angles in front of the inner room; the
ground floor room was heated by a gable end stack to the outer side, and the first
floor room by a gable end stack at the junction with the inner room; access through a
door in the front corner of the hall. The parlour wing has a stair tower to the
outer side, probably of the original build. In 1676, the parlour wing was
remodelled, dated on plasterwork in upper chamber, with a barrel vault ceiling to
the upper chamber, now concealed, and additional panelling in the ground floor room,
of which only the frieze survives. In the late C17, a rear kitchen block of 2-room
plan was added to the rear of the parlour wing, heated by stack to outer side, and
perhaps at this time the original inner room took on its present use as pantries.
Later additions include a single storey outhouse/dairy to the rear of the lower end
room, possibly of late C17, with an open through passage, a single storey rubble
addition to the gable end of the lower end, as an outhouse, and a single storey
outshut to the rear of the hall, concealing the rear passage door. In the late C18
or early C19 a straight stair was inserted in the lower end room, along the front
wall.
The early range is partly of 2 storeys, with single storey hall to left and 2-storey
lower end to right; all under one sloping roof-line, the first floor rooms being over
the entry and the the lower end, mostly in the roof space. The porch is of squared
rubble with pitched slate roof, stone benches to sides, inner 4-panelled door set in
opening which was possibly originally wider. Raking dormer above in chamfered
granite surround, probably re-sited, with stoolings for 2 mullions. Lower end has 4-
pane light with slate cill at ground floor, 2-light casement of 3 panes each light
under eaves. Gable end brick stack. Hall to left has front lateral external stack
in granite ashlar, with weathering and tall ashlar shaft with cornice; roof level
slightly raised over canted hall bay to left, with 3 lights to front and one to right
side, with chamfered mullions and concave moulded surround, C20 stained glass; the
left side of the bay is butted against and the parlour wing. The right gable end of
the lower end has single storey rubble addition, renewed in C20 concrete blocks with
corrugated iron roof; the front has a blocked window with chamfered granite cill. To
the rear, the lower end has at ground floor a C20 2-light casement and 8-pane light,
with slate cills, small 2-light casement under eaves. Attached to rear of lower end,
single storey rubble outhouse/dairy with slurried slate roof; this has an open
through passage and unglazed window under eaves to rear. The rear of the passage and
hall has a single storey rendered outshut, with 2 C20 windows to rear, door and
window to side; this encloses the rear of the through passage. To the right is the
rear of the original inner room, with 2-light window opening at ground floor, one
side glazed and one side as a ventilation window to pantry; raking dormer above with
6-pane sash.
The parlour wing is of 2 storeys,, front in granite ashlar, right gable end and rear
in rubble, with left gable end rendered. At the front, the ground floor has
continous hood mould over 2 windows,, 4-light and 2-light, both with chamfered
mullions and surround, some iron stanchions remaining; first floor has 3-light
similar window without hood moulds, varied glazing, some leaded lights. Each gable
end has granite ashlar stack with cornice and shaped top. The left gable end has
raised coped verges, blocked single light at first floor left with chamfered granite
surround. The right gable end has moulded string course at upper level. The rear
has the roof pitch extended to left over the stair tower, which has the rear wall
partially rebuilt in C20 concrete blocks, with C20 half-glazed door and 4-pane light.
Attached to rear left and in the same axis as the parlour wing, the late C17 kitchen
block, which extends as far as the stair tower. This is single storey, with a large
4-pane sash on the side facing the stair tower. It was re-roofed in the early C20
with pitched roof of corrugated iron, and brick stack to rear; the gable end extends
beyond the rear wall of the early range, and on the inner side there is a plain door
and 4-pane casement, in chamfered granite surround, with remains of central mullion.
Interior The front door to the passage has fleur-de-lys strap hinges to inner side.
The rear passage doorway is moulded on the outer side, with wave moulding and hood
mould, cushion and diavolo stops. The doorway in the passage to right, leading to
the lower end room, is of three pieces of wood, chamfered, with a rounded arched
head, a rare survival of a primitive doorway type. The lower end room has gable end
fireplace, rebuilt in C20, formerly with oven; the windows to front and rear have
chamfered cills. Straight stair to front of room. The hall has a 2-bay arched brace
roof with internal jetty to passage side, the wall above the jetty of stud
construction, with beams under jetty with stops at each end. Stud wall to passage.
Granite floor. Recess in rear wall, formerly site of window, with C18 cupboard
inserted with LH hinges. The front lateral fireplace has roll-moulded lintel and
jambs, with vestigial ogee and flat stops. Granite candle bracket to side of moulded
doorframe to doorway to original inner room; granite doorway with 3-centred arch,
hollow-chamfered with domed stops, leading to parlour wing, a plain door with strap
hinges on the parlour side. Along the outer side of the hall is the high seat with
panelled back and panels along the top with carved leaves and flowers.
In the parlour wing, the ground floor room has a framed ceiling of 4-bays, with heavy
moulded beams, probably of the early C16; carved wood frieze, formerly with lower
panelling, probably of the C17 remodelling of the parlour wing. C20 fireplace in
outer gable end wall. The room was divided in the late C19, forming a passage from
the entrance to the hall to the rear stair tower. To the rear of the passage, the
doorway to the original inner room is moulded, with bar and scroll stops, narrow
panelled door with heart-shaped catch. Stair tower has winder stair,with bobbin-
turned balusters and turned newels, of C17. From the landing, there is a doorway to
the room over the inner room, a 4-panelled door in similar moulded frame with pyramid
stops. At the top of the stair, a doorframe with bar and scroll stops. The room
over the parlour has plaster overmantel dated 1676, with coat of arms, shield and
helm over, the arms with a quartering of the Kendal family, with scrolled leaves and
pilasters. A lower ceiling was inserted in the late C19/early C20; the barrel vault
remains in the roof space, trusses removed, moulded purlins remaining. The later C17
kitchen has fireplace on outer wall, with a flat granite lintel, hollow-chamfered,
with handle-holes cut in the early C20 for stove. The inner room is used as
pantries, partitioned in 2; there is one beam, chamfered with run-out stops, and the
window also has a wooden lintel, chamfered with run-out stops. The width of the wall
at what was originally the gable end indicates a former flue for gable end fireplace,
now blocked.
The house is an exceptionally fine example of a surviving-open hall, with many
internal features of interest from all phases of development. It can be compared
with the Old Post Office, Tintagel and Truthall, Sithney, for similar hall roofs.
John Wesley was a friend of the then farmer, Mr Meager, and stayed here five or six
times between 1755 and 1778. The courtyard walls, which are essential to the
character of the house, are listed as a separate item.
(Sources: Chesher, F. and V.: The Cornishman's House 1968. Gilbert : An Historical
Survey of the County of Cornwall 1817. Jope, E.M.: Studies in Building History.
John Wesley's Journals. Henderson Manuscript Collection, Royal Institution of
Cornwall, Truro. Pierce, J.: The Wesley's in Cornwall. Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of
England: Cornwall 1970).

Listing NGR: SX0506556312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.