This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7427 / 54°44'33"N
Longitude: -3.207 / 3°12'25"W
OS Eastings: 322391
OS Northings: 539304
OS Grid: NY223393
Mapcode National: GBR 6F1L.HN
Mapcode Global: WH6ZL.Q210
Plus Code: 9C6RPQVV+35
Entry Name: Ireby Old Church
Listing Date: 11 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144424
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72445
Location: Ireby and Uldale, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7
Civil Parish: Ireby and Uldale
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Binsey Team
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2014
NY 23 NW
Ireby Old Church
Redundant parish church. C12 with 1845-6 alterations; restorations of 1880 by Ewan Christian and 1972 for the Redundant Churches Fund. Large blocks of squared mixed sandstone and limestone with eastern angle buttresses, partly on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof. 2-bay chancel only, with west open bellcote; (the nave, north aisle and porch were demolished 1845-6). West doorway in blocked chancel arch has C19 surround under reused C12 tympanum and built-in medieval grave slab. North blocked doorway and C18 square window partly in C16 chamfered surround. 3 narrow round-headed east windows and one above, all with heavy 1880 restoration, in rebuilt wall which has built into it 2 small medieval grave slabs and a larger slab in 3 separate pieces. Interior has 3-bay wall arcade in restored east wall. Open timber roof has C16 or C17 trusses. South wall has 2 blocked C13 windows, not visible from the outside because of C19 refacing. Wall plaque to George Crage of Prior Hall, 1626 and aedicule monument to Thomas Wilson 1769. Medieval piscina and 2 aumbries. Built into the east wall as part of C19 restoration is a stone altar shelf with incised medieval cross above and a grave slab inscribed in Lombardie capitals HIC JACET EVA FIL. Disused after new church was built in Ireby village and declared redundant in 1972. Now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxv, pp222-239.
Listing NGR: NY2238939304
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings