This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6634 / 54°39'48"N
Longitude: -2.8829 / 2°52'58"W
OS Eastings: 343146
OS Northings: 530175
OS Grid: NY431301
Mapcode National: GBR 8G9J.N2
Mapcode Global: WH818.P1DR
Entry Name: Greenthwaite Hall Cottage greenthwaite Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 December 1967
Last Amended: 24 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73812
Location: Greystoke, Eden, Cumbria, CA11
Civil Parish: Greystoke
Built-Up Area: Greystoke
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Greystoke
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 43 SW GREYSTOKE BERRIER ROAD (North
12/91 Greenthwaite Hall
27.12.67 Greenthwaite Hall
Farmhouse and extension, now divided into 2 dwellings. Mid C16 with alterations
and additions dated and inscribed over entrance (Here we consider ourselves
sojourners, in Latin) M & D H 1650 (Miles & Dorothy Halton), under Halton
coat-of-arms dated 1660. Thick walls of pink sandstone rubble with flush
quoins, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; diagonal
stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays and left 3-bay extension with centre
3-storey gabled stone porch under common roof. Lower right-angled 2-storey
extension of 2 builds, 3 bays, forming overall F-shape. Entrance to original
house has been lost in later extensions; 2-, 3- and 4-light chamfered
stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds. 1650 porch and left extension are in
a similar style, the porch with a Tudor-arched doorway and the 2-, 3- and
4-light windows under continuous hoods which are carried around the side walls
of the porch. Left extension has C20 door in stone architrave, the present
front door to Greenthwaite Hall Farmhouse. Porch and extension have ornamented
strapwork panels between floors. Right-angled extension has central stonework
joint. The left part has 2-, 3- and 4-light stone-mullioned windows, the
4-light window under a strapwork panel. The right part has C20 door in stone
architrave, the present entrance to Greenthwaite Hall Cottage. The rear of the
main house has a central stonework joint; the left part is the earlier house and
the right part the 1650 extension. Both parts have similar 2- and 3-light
chamfered stone-mullioned windows, one on the left now a C20 doorway, all under
hoodmoulds. Left return wall has blocked small chamfered-surround windows.
Right return wall has upper-floor blocked 2-light windows. Interior of the
oldest part has in its principal room a large C16 arched stone fireplace and
beamed ceiling. The windows have segmental splayed arches. Outbuildings, now
used as garages, dated and inscribed HCH 1904 (Henry Charles Howard) are not of
interest. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian &
Archaeological Society, new series, vii, pp.128-134.
Listing NGR: NY4314630175
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings