This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3309 / 54°19'51"N
Longitude: -2.7406 / 2°44'26"W
OS Eastings: 351935
OS Northings: 493066
OS Grid: SD519930
Mapcode National: GBR 9L9C.G8
Mapcode Global: WH82W.WD4Q
Plus Code: 9C6V87J5+9Q
Entry Name: Castle Dairy
Listing Date: 24 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145642
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75521
Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kendal
Built-Up Area: Kendal
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kendal St George
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 5193 SE KENDAL WILDMAN STREET
5/176 Castle Dairy
Farmhouse; the name implies an association with Kendal Castle but 'Dairy' may be
a corruption of 'Dowry'. Now a restaurant. Probably C14; extensively
remodelled c1560 for Anthony Garnett (numerous dated features have survived).
Later additions and alterations. Coursed rubble with quoins. Graduated
stone-flag roofs; stone chimneys (corbelled to west wing and projecting to east
wing). Central Hall with 2-storey cross-wing to either end. For detailed
description (including exceptionally well-preserved interior) see R.C.H.M.
Westmorland (1936), with the following amendments: multi-light windows, to Hall
front and to west wing lst floor, were renewed in 1983/4 (all in facsimile
except for heads carved on label-stops to Hall window). On the interior, 2 more
original doorways (with pointed heads) have been opened up on the left-hand side
of the cross-passage; the ground floor, east wing, fireplace and some of the
original windows have also been unblocked. The extension to the rear of the
west wing has been demolished.
Listing NGR: SD5193593066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings