History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burton-by-Lincoln, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2578 / 53°15'28"N

Longitude: -0.5629 / 0°33'46"W

OS Eastings: 495965

OS Northings: 374384

OS Grid: SK959743

Mapcode National: GBR SZHR.XW

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.BC6V

Entry Name: Burton Hall

Listing Date: 11 June 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147084

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196983

Location: Burton, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN1

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Burton

Built-Up Area: Burton-by-Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: The Spring Line Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Burton

Listing Text

SK 97 SE BURTON off LINCOLN ROAD

9/19 Burton Hall

II*

Country house. 1768. By James Paine for Lord Monson.
Alterations and addition of C20. Ashlar south front, hipped
slate roof concealed by a parapet with 2 ranges of moulded stone
stacks. 3 storey 9 bay front arranged 3:3:3 with central 3 bays
slightly advanced and pedimented. Plinth, deep first floor band
with moulded top, narrow first floor sill band, dentillated
cornice and pediment. Rusticated quoins to ground floor only,
and rusticated central ground floor stage. Central half glazed
door with fanlight set in a semi-circular headed opening flanked
by single windows with splayed rusticated heads. To either side
are 3 windows with rusticated architraves and full cornices over.
To first floor are 3 sets of 3 windows, all with architraves, but
only the central ones of which have cornices. Second floor has 9
square windows with 2 fixed panes above a transome. The front is
one bay deep and to the rear is a single storey C20 wing designed
by John Roberts, architect. The Nattes drawing of 1793 in the
Banks Collection Vol.I shows the rear wing intact.


Listing NGR: SK9596574384

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.