This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6571 / 50°39'25"N
Longitude: -2.4727 / 2°28'21"W
OS Eastings: 366678
OS Northings: 84261
OS Grid: SY666842
Mapcode National: GBR PX.QB9K
Mapcode Global: FRA 57QB.LGF
Entry Name: Upwey Manor
Listing Date: 12 December 1953
Last Amended: 22 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467965
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT3
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Upwey and Broadwey
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Upwey St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6684 STOTTINGWAY STREET, Upwey
873-1/6/611 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
STOTTINGWAY STREET, Upwey
The Manor House)
Manor house. Dated 1639, modified later in the C17, and with
extensive alterations and additions in 1901. The Manor was
owned by the Gould family (qv churchyard monument, Church
Street) from the C17. Rubble and coursed rubble, slate or tile
PLAN: the original house seems to have had a central hall,
one-room depth, with gabled E end, and possibly projecting bay
at the W end, as seen from the S; the H-plan postulated by VCH
(Mon.338) seems unlikely, as 1900 sale particulars show a flat
front to the E; the main E wing was added, with its deep
projection in 1901 (dated over a fireplace). At this time a
large extension was added to the W end, stepped forward from
the main range. Entrance is from the N side, which has a small
central recessed gable between full-size flanking gables; to
the right is an added unit containing the entrance door, this
probably of 1901.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic, rectangular-leaded casements
are recessed hollow mould mullion, with moulded labels; some
of the windows have early external casement stays. The E gable
has a 2- above 3-light, with a blocked light to the ground
floor; the central recess has 2- above 3- above 4-light, the
last with transom, and a 1901 insertion. Above the windows is
a flush datestone, inscribed 1639. The W gable has 2 above 3
To the right is a full-height extension in coursed stone and
with slate roof, with a C20 plank door under a 4-centred arch
with recessed spandrels, and a flanking light, all under a
pent-roofed portico with stone slate roof, and various lights.
The gables are coped and on kneelers, and each has a small
brick terminal stack; there is a further brick stack on a
coped flush gable to the right. The gable to the W end
contains a large wood 4-light casement with transom to the
first floor, and low left is a blocked doorway with flush
keystone. A 1945 photograph in the NMR show this elevation
with a large canted oriel, with central arched sash, at the
The E front has paired linked gables covering a central
gutter, with gabled roofs to left and right. Various mullioned
lights, including an early 3-light to the first floor, right,
and a one-storey added hipped verandah-like unit at ground
floor level. The 2 brick stacks rise from stone skirts. Roofs
are generally in plain tile.
The garden front has to the left the large 1901 extension, now
in separate occupation and known as West Manor (qv), then a
low 2-storey canted bay with hipped roof over 1:2:1 light
casements at 2 levels; on the return wall to the right of this
extension is a small square light set flush above a 2-light
The main S wall has 4-light and 2-light mullioned casements
above a 4-light and a plank door, this possibly in the
original position to a through passage. The projecting main
gable to the right has 3 over 4 over deep 4-light casements.
Brick stacks to E and W gables, and roofs are all tiled on
INTERIOR: has been extensively altered. From the C17 structure
remain deep chamfered transverse and cross beams in the main
hall or parlour, with an inserted octagonal timber post, and
there are various roof timbers to the collar roofs on 2
purlins. The main hall also has a deep bressumer fire on
chamfered stone cheeks, the bressumer renewed, and a stone
slab floor. The C20 panelled entrance lobby links with a
straight-run staircase to the W of the hall. In the
ground-floor room to the E is a high oak overmantel with 8
carved Arts and Crafts panels and the date 1901.
The lofty first-floor room to the W, the billiard room, has a
fine (imported) rococo plaster coved ceiling with central
circular panel enrichment, and a marble fireplace with eared
architrave. The attics contain some deep chamfered beams,
several of these very crudely carved.
(RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 338).
Listing NGR: SY6667884261
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings