This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6962 / 53°41'46"N
Longitude: -1.1188 / 1°7'7"W
OS Eastings: 458279
OS Northings: 422552
OS Grid: SE582225
Mapcode National: GBR NTMP.LR
Mapcode Global: WHDC9.SCF9
Entry Name: Hensall Primary School schoolmaster's House
Listing Date: 11 December 1967
Last Amended: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326476
Location: Hensall, Selby, North Yorkshire, DN14
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hensall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Great Snaith
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HENSALL CHURCH LANE
SE 52 SE
3/3 Hensall Primary School
and Schoolmaster's house
(formerly listed as The
School and schoolmaster's house. 1854 with later additions and alterations
including those of 1893, 1968 and 1970. Architect, William Butterfield;
patron, 7th Viscount Downe; builder, Charles Ward of Lincoln. Pinkish-red
brick, partly rendered, with grey slate roof. 2-storey range with 2 first-
floor windows with single tall storey, 2-bay schoolroom adjoining.
Aesthetic Functionalism. Main range: ground floor obscured by C20
additions, entrance to C20 porch, double, part-glazed doors, 9-pane window.
First floor has 2-light timber mullion window with 4-pane sashes and
tripartite window with 2-pane sash to centre, both in long raking dormer.
Schoolroom has three 6-pane casement windows with 2 roof dormers. External
end stack and large stepped external stack to front elevation. 2 rainwater
heads bearing initial D. Sweeping roof in 2 levels. Interior retains many
original features including fireplaces, cupboards with hinges, dado rails,
6 and 8-panel doors and dogleg staircase to master's house with plain
balusters. Conceived as a group with St Paul's Church (qv) and The Red
House (qv) and with similar groups at Cowick and Pollington. N Pevsner,
Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, p 262. P Thompson, William Butterfield,
1971, p 436.
Listing NGR: SE5827922552
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.