History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Presbytery and Roman Catholic Church of Saint Joseph

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop Thornton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.0655 / 54°3'55"N

Longitude: -1.6031 / 1°36'11"W

OS Eastings: 426070

OS Northings: 463359

OS Grid: SE260633

Mapcode National: GBR KP7F.QC

Mapcode Global: WHC86.B2VM

Entry Name: The Presbytery and Roman Catholic Church of Saint Joseph

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330937

Location: Bishop Thornton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Bishop Thornton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north side)

8/17 The Presbytery and Roman
Catholic Church of Saint

Presbytery and church. Presbytery 1790 and Church 1809 for Richard Talbot and Charles
Saul on land given by Stephen Ingilby of Raventoftus (qv). Restored C20. Coursed
squared gritstone, concrete tile roof. Presbytery: 2 storeys with attics, 3
bays. Central glazed door with C20 porch, flanked by 4-light windows with
flat-faced mullions, some renewed C20. First floor: 3- and 4-light windows
of similar type. End stacks. Left return: 2-light mullioned window lights
tall attic storey. Interior: the original chapel was in the attic of this
house, and is reported to contain a collar-beam roof, reused. Not seen at
resurvey. Church attached to right of presbytery: 4 bays, each with a plain
round-headed window. Stone cross at right gable end. Entrance porch at
east end (right) with board door. Interior: original 6-panel double doors
with strap hinges between porch and body of church; a narrow 6-panel door
links the chapel to the presbytery. No other original fittings. The strong
local Roman Catholic tradition is recorded in the mid C20 stained glass
windows. The site for the Presbytery was given by Stephen Ingilby who lived
at Raventofts Hall (qv). Raventofts had been an important refuge for
Catholics and the priest serving the Medieval church of Saint John, (the
tower only survives (qv)), lived at the house. Stephen Ingilby was a
conformist and probably wanted to remove the recusant connection from
Raventofts. B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale, 1967, p 380.

Listing NGR: SE2607063359

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.