This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5537 / 53°33'13"N
Longitude: -1.4792 / 1°28'45"W
OS Eastings: 434601
OS Northings: 406466
OS Grid: SE346064
Mapcode National: GBR LW3B.KT
Mapcode Global: WHDCQ.7YW1
Entry Name: The Civic Hall
Listing Date: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333717
Location: Barnsley, S70
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Barnsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barnsley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE30NW BARNSLEY ELDON STREET
3/30 The Civic Hall,
including Nos 44a,
46, 48, 52, 54
Civic Hall. Dated 1877. By Hill and Swan of Leeds, at the expense of
Mr. Charles Harvey of Park House, Kendray. Ashlar. Welsh slate roof.
3 storeys, and attic. Seven bays. Baroque style. The symmetrical facade has
central and end bays defined by pilasters. The central two-storey round-arched
portal has panelled pilaster jambs with foliated capitals. Elaborate double
panelled door. Swagged frieze and dentilled entablature to the springing of
the arch. Well-carved figures of art and science in spandrels. Figure-head
of Charles Harvey in cartouche as enlarged keystone. C20 shop frontages to
rest of ground floor. lst-floor windows are round-arched with pilaster jambs,
those to bays 2 and 6 in triple groups. All are archivolted and have balustrade
supporting sill band. Dentilled lst-floor cornice. 2nd-floor windows are
similar with triple groups to bays 2, 4 and 6 and these have a small balcony
to the central lights supporting urns. Frieze above centre window has in
raised letters "PUBLIC HALL 1877". Heavy, modillioned moulded eaves cornice.
Richly and heavily treated attic storey has 8 circular dormer windows with
segmental pediments alternating with ball-on-stalk finials. Surmounting the
4 pilasters are square round-arched turrets with finials, those to the centre
bay being particularly elaborate and flanking a 2-light round-arched dormer
with circle in head and pediment and urns.
Interior: lst-floor hall has horseshoe gallery on cast-iron columns and
decorative iron brackets. Moulded panelled roof with central bosses, and
moulded, dentilled cornice. Some recent decoration.
Listing NGR: SE3460106466
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings