This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.302 / 55°18'7"N
Longitude: -1.8644 / 1°51'51"W
OS Eastings: 408706
OS Northings: 600882
OS Grid: NU087008
Mapcode National: GBR H7F4.56
Mapcode Global: WHC1W.BZFT
Entry Name: Hydraulic Silo Building 70 Metres East of Cragend Farmhouse
Listing Date: 25 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153196
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236347
Location: Cartington, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Cartington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 00 SE
17/10 Hydraulic silo
building 70 metres
east of Cragend
Experimental hydraulic silo, c.1895 by Lord Armstrong. Snecked stone with
tooled-and-margined dressings; Welsh slate roof to centre, original heavy
corrugated iron on side parts and C20 asbestos sheets on loading bay. Linear
plan: rectangular silage bay on each side of taller cross-gabled centre.
North elevation. Gabled centre has boarded double doors with similar pitching
doors above, both in chamfered surrounds; lower side parts have slit vents.
To right, below slit vents is pent roof of loading bay, entered at lower level
by segmental arch holding boarded double doors on right return. Side parts
have barrel roof.
Interior; centre part has twin-cylinder hydraulic engine in basement (not seen
as access stair is unsafe); turbine on entrance level and chopping machine on
1st floor, now removed. Flanking silage bays are deep chambers, rendered
internally, with the floor area of each containing 18 large stone drums.
Transverse steel girders below roof; steel arched roof trusses.
The hydraulic silo is said to have been based on a French original seen by
Lord Armstrong. Grass was forked in through the pitching door to the chopping
machine powered by the turbine below, which was operated by water pumped up
from the hydraulic engine; the chopped grass was then manually loaded into the
silage bays; when these were full it was compacted beneath the stone drums,
which had been raised to the transverse girders by hydraulic power. Hoists
for lifting silage (and men) from the bays were also hydraulically operated;
the silage was then dropped down a chute from the entrance door into the low-
level loading bay, and removed.
The process was not very efficient in terms of manpower required, and was soon
abandoned due to problems of gas emanation; the power source was lost when
Blackburn Lake was drained c.1930.
Listing NGR: NU0870600882
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings