This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9365 / 54°56'11"N
Longitude: -2.1086 / 2°6'31"W
OS Eastings: 393136
OS Northings: 560213
OS Grid: NY931602
Mapcode National: GBR FCQC.85
Mapcode Global: WHB2K.L53X
Entry Name: Dotland Park Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Last Amended: 18 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240586
Location: Hexhamshire, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Hexhamshire
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whitley St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
HEXHAMSHIRE LOW QUARTER DOTLAND PARK
NY 96 SW
2/216 Dotland Park Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
Hunting Lodge of Priors of Hexham, c.1500. Refenestrated and outshut built
late C18/early C19, outshut heightened and other alterations 1907. Coursed
roughly-squared stone with cut dressings; slate roof. South elevation 2
storeys, 4 irregular bays. Bay 2 doorway in late C19 wooden porch, and
remains of 3 earlier arched doorways; 16-pane sash windows in raised tooled-
and-margined surrounds (that on 1st floor bay 3 is 1907 insertion). Coped
gables; stepped left end stack, right end stack rebuilt on old base. Left
return shows several blocked windows including cinquefoil-headed light with
arms of Prior Smithson in spandrels. Right return shows blocked chamfered
light to attic.
Interior: in rear wall of original house, 2 windows of 2 cinquefoil-headed
lights under square head with hoodmould, again with arms of Prior Smithson.
6-bay roof has tie-beam trusses with curved principals and collars, one
(formerly 3) level of purlins and ridge.
The heraldry suggests the bunting lodge was built by Thomas Smithson
(prior 1491-1524) although earlier medieval fabric may be incorporated.
In 1654 it served as a Baptist meeting house, one of the earliest in the
North of England.
Listing NGR: NY9313660213
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings