This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3038 / 53°18'13"N
Longitude: -1.1157 / 1°6'56"W
OS Eastings: 459027
OS Northings: 378906
OS Grid: SK590789
Mapcode National: GBR NZN7.7D
Mapcode Global: WHDF7.T7X1
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert and St Mary, Worksop Priory, and Remains of Cloister Wall
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Last Amended: 1 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241327
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80
Electoral Ward/Division: Worksop South East
Built-Up Area: Worksop
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Worksop Priory with Carburton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/08/2014
SK 57 NE and SK 5878 NE
3/118 and 8/118
PRIORSWELL ROAD (East side),
Church of St.Cuthbert and St Mary, Worksop Priory, and remains of cloister wall
(Formerly listed as Worksop Priory)
Augustinian priory, now Parish church. C11, C12, C13, C14, restored 1845-49 by R. Nicholson; Lady Chapel restored 1922 as a war memorial, south transept built 1929, north transept built 1935 by Sir Harold Breakspear. Crossing tower, sanctuary and east end by Laurence King, 1966-74. Regular and irregularly coursed ashlar and squared rubble; slate and flat roofs. Ashlar dressings, buttresses moulded and chamfered plinths, string courses, sill band, hood moulds, dentillated eaves and wavy corbel table, and moulded parapets. 2 west towers, nave, north porch and offices, cloister wall, north aisle, north transept, crossing tower, sanctuary, east end, lady chapel, south transept, south aisle, south porch. West towers, C12 and C14, have 4 gargoyles. South tower has, to south, C12 lancet with nailhead; north tower has, to west, heavily moulded doorway, early C12, with single shaft responds and blind arcading. Second stages have single C13 lancets, and south tower only, clock. Third stages have single lancets on 3 sides; fourth stages have on each side a pair of round headed openings each containing 2 Transitional lancets with colonettes. Nave west end has central C11 doorway with shaft responds and waterleaf capitals and richly moulded head with hood mould and beak stops. C19 doors with decorative hinges. Above, moulded round headed C11 window with nailhead. Above again, coped gable with cross. Clerestorey has 8 round headed windows on each side. Single storey monastic parlour now north porch, has to west, C12 doorway, 2 orders, with roll, cove and zigzag moulding and waterleaf capitals. To east, single C19 double lancet. Remains of cloister wall adjoining north porch has single round headed and four centred arched doorways, chamfered rectangular opening and collapsed opening. North aisle, restored 1845-49, has 7 single lancets. To west, C12 doorway, 3 orders, with square capitals and zigzag and nailhead moulding. To east, similar blocked doorway, 3 orders, with roll moulding. North transept, 1935, in C13 style, 2 bays deep and 3 bays wide, has 8 lancets. Crossing tower, 1974, has 2 full height window recesses in each side, parapet and fleche. Gabled C20 sanctuary. Lady Chapel, C13, 2 bays, has to east 3 lancets with keeled clustered intermediate shafts and roll moulded heads. South side has 2 similar triple lancets. South transept, 1929, in Transitional style, 3 bays deep and 3 bays wide, has round headed windows. South aisle, similar to north aisle, 9 bays, has 8 lancets with nailhead, and south porch. Single bay south porch, C13, has crenellated coped gable with sundial and crocketted pinnacle. South doorway with triple roll moulding. Interior has stone benches, C12 doorway, 3 orders, with nailhead capitals and noteworthy C12 doors with elaborate hinges. Above, cusped head niche, and similar niche in east wall. 4 bay rib vault. Nave arcade, 9 bays, has to east 2 C11 arches with round piers, scallop capitals, roll mould and billet moulded hood with arcading. To west, alternating round and octagonal piers with pseudo-piers under west towers. All piers have water holding bases and stiff leaf capitals with dogtooth, cove and roll moulded arches and hoods with dogtooth. Above, string course and triforium, 18 bays, with alternate large and small openings, the larger breaking into the clerestorey. Large openings have shafts with square capitals and dogtooth and nailhead bands. Small openings have dogtooth and nailhead bands. Above again, 8 bay clerestorey with roll moulded openings with shafts, and above again, nailhead eaves band. Scissor braced principal rafter roof, c.1849. Roll moulded crossing arch has responds with scallop capitals, and above, blind arcade with central wheel window with stained glass. West end has roll moulded doorway, and above, window with stained glass, 1868. Below north tower, carillion mechanism behind timber screen, 1931. North porch, 3 bays, has vault with moulded ribs and shaft responds. North aisle, 9 bays, has to west C13 arch with keeled responds and stiff leaf capitals, 8 windows with C19 stained glass, and moulded C13 tomb recess. Plain vault, early C13. To east, round arch into north transept with responds and scallop capitals. Zigzag moulding on east face. North transept has painted ashlar reredos by Sir G. Scott, removed from east end. To north, C13 pillar piscina. Below crossing, C20 altar on plinth, roll moulded nave arch with remains of responds and waterleaf capitals. Lady chapel has to north blind arcade, 2 bays, with central clustered pier, chamfered arches and C20 ashlar screen. East end has triple lancet with interlaced hoods and C20 stained glass. South side has C13 piscina and matching sedilia. South transept has 2 restored C13 arches, and to west, C12 arch into south aisle with zigzag moulding. South aisle has 9 windows with shafts and C19 stained glass. Plain vault, C13, with moulded ribs. Fittings include font, 1857, with octagonal main shaft and panelled square bowl; font, 1974; communion table, early C17; chest, late C17; C20 benches, stalls and chairs. In south aisle, brass 1615, with Renaissance style surround; 11 tablets and brasses, C19 and C20; in west end, 5 memorial tablets, late C18 and 1823; war memorials in Lady Chapel; in north aisle, 4 C19 brasses. In south transept, 3 mutilated alabaster figures, 1366, 1406 and early C15.
The Lady Chapel was restored as a memorial to those from the town who lost their lives in the First World War. The restored Lady Chapel was unveiled 20 July 1922 by the Duke & Duchess of Newcastle and the dedication was led by the Bishop of Southwell, The Right Reverend Edwyn Hoskyns. The restoration was designed by Harold Brakspear (of Wiltshire) and the works were undertaken by Thomas J Pepper (of Worksop). The interior contains a carved wooden board (by Pepper) giving the names of those from Worksop Parish lost in the First World War, together with carved stone tablets giving details of the Lady Chapel’s history, restoration and dedication. The interior also contains a bronze tablet giving the names of those employees of Manton Colliery lost in the First World War (this tablet was moved to the Lady Chapel from the colliery in 1995).
Listing NGR: SK5902778910
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings