This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0994 / 51°5'57"N
Longitude: -1.1604 / 1°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 458885
OS Northings: 133674
OS Grid: SU588336
Mapcode National: GBR 976.1F6
Mapcode Global: FRA 86G6.V21
Entry Name: Old Arlesford House
Listing Date: 16 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145203
Location: Old Alresford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Old Alresford
Built-Up Area: Old Alresford
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Old Alresford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 53 SE OLD ALRESFORD OLD ALRESFORD
8/44 Old Alresford
Middle sized country house. 1749-51 by William Jones for Admiral Lord Rodney.
Brick with Bath stone dressings and slated roofs. 3 storeys and basement, 7
bays with slightly projecting centre 3 bays and single bay flanking wings at
either end with single storey on basement service wings either side in front
forming courtyard. Stone string courses at ground floor, ground floor cill
level and 2nd floor level, to centre 5 bays, and 2nd floor cornice to flank-
ing bays, tall parapet with coping and bracketed pediment to centre 3 bays.
Flight of 9 stone steps to central 6 panel door in doorcase with arched
radiating fanlight, in 1760's framed with porch of 2 fluted Tower of the
Winds columns and pilasters supporting entablature with bucrania frieze.
Either side a closely spaced sash then a widely spaced sash in the outer 2
bays, and the same arrange holds on the other floors. Ground and 1st floor
have 12-pane sashes, 2nd floor 6-paned, all with rubbed brick arches. Inside
plan form of central saloon, now morning room, flanked by dining and drawing
rooms and entrance hall flanked by main and service stairs. In morning room
original rococo plaster ceiling, with central panel of eagle discharging
thunderbolts and corner medallions of the seasons. Some C18 foreplaces and
Regency ceilings. In E service wing Chapel and sitting room decorated in neo-
classical trompe l'oeil by Robert Jackson after designs by Annigoni. House
stands at top of park laid out by Richard Woods in 1764 with lawn and ha-ha
in front of house and flanking walls of beech and yew framing view down to
Listing NGR: SU5876034222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings