This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0723 / 54°4'20"N
Longitude: -2.2895 / 2°17'22"W
OS Eastings: 381151
OS Northings: 464084
OS Grid: SD811640
Mapcode National: GBR DPGB.3X
Mapcode Global: WH95D.SWYY
Entry Name: Church of St Alkeda
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157303
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323793
Location: Giggleswick, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Giggleswick
Built-Up Area: Settle
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Giggleswick St Alkelda
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
GIGGLESWICK CHURCH STREET
Church of St Alkelda
Parish church. Late C14/early C15 with mid-C15 tower. Restored 1890-92 by Paley
and Austin. Squared stone, stone dressings, stone slate and lead roof. Perpendicular
style. South porch, 3 stage west tower, 5 bay nave, north and south aisles,
one bay north and south side chapels, one bay chancel. Gabled south entrance porch
has double chamfered surround, basket arch and hoodmould with spiral stops; diagonal
buttresses. Double chamfered segmental pointed arch to nave entrance plank door
and strap hinges. Tower: west entrance has basket arch and hoodmould; trefoil heads
to 3-light window above, rectilinear tracery. Second stage string course and single
light chamfered window with trefoil head. Deeply chamfered trefoil headed louvred
window to bell stage. Gargoyle; embattled parapet; crocketted finials. Diagonal
buttresses and projecting stair turret on south side; clock-face on east side.
Nave: four 2-light windows and hoodmoulds to clerestory and 2 similar windows closely
spaced at east end of 1890-92; parapet. Side aisles have 3 light windows with hood-
moulds; parapet. Taller, former north chapel (now houses organ) has 3-light window
and south chapel has two similar windows and double chamfered segmental pointed
arched entrance with sundial and gnomon in parapet above. One bay chancel is lower
than nave and has tall east window of 6 lights with trefoil heads and hoodmould.
Gable end parapet of 1890-92. Interior: octagonal shafts to pillars in north and
south arcades, pointed arches; base of 2 pillars formed from reused Romanesque
capitals. Roof of 1890-92. Alms box dated 1684 and inscribed 'Remember the Pore'
on pillar in south arcade. Octagonal base to font, early C15. Formerly 3-now
2-decker pulpit and reading desk, both of 1680. Brass candelabra of 1718 in nave.
South wall: plaster tablet to Richard Frankland, (1698), non-conformist founder
of Rathmell Academy, now College Fold, Rathmell (q.v). North wall: marble memorial
by Leyland and Bromley, Halifax, to George Birbeck (1776-1841) founder of Mechanics'
Institutes. Chancel: oak communion rail with bobbin balusters of c1675.
Source: W A Shuffrey, The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven (Leeds, 1914)
Listing NGR: SD8115464085
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings