This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0472 / 54°2'49"N
Longitude: -1.8962 / 1°53'46"W
OS Eastings: 406891
OS Northings: 461249
OS Grid: SE068612
Mapcode National: GBR HP6M.8Y
Mapcode Global: WHB6X.VJ6Q
Entry Name: Percevall Hall
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323673
Location: Appletreewick, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Appletreewick
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 06 SE
3/20 Percevall Hall
House, now a retreat for Bradford Diocese. C16, C17 and early C20. Ashlar,
coursed squared stone, graduated stone slate roof. Clb and C17 part of
house, 2 storeys, 6 bays. To right of this is a 2 storey, 5 bay modern
addition, to rear at right angles to house a long wing dated 1929, behind
this parallel to the house another wing of 1929. Original house: the left-
hand bay is set back, gabled to left return. Between bays 2 and 3 a shallow
flat-headed porch with 2 ball finials and a studded door in a chamfered
surround. To left of porch a drainpipe with waterhead inscribed 1775.
Porch is flanked by 6-light double-chamfered mullioned windows with central
major mullions and hoodmoulds. To right two 3-light double-chamfered
mullion windows with a one-light chamfered window between them. First
floor. Bay 2 has 6-light window similar to that below. 2 bays to right of
this have 3-light double-chamfered mullioned windows, to right similar
window of 2 lights. Right bay has 3-light double-chamfered mullioned window
with a hoodmould. Bay 2 has gable with a stepped 3-light chamfered
mullioned window with a hoodmould. Shaped kneelers, stone coping. End
stack to right, ridge stacks. Additions to house in similar style with
mullioned windows. Interior: in the solar is a large inglenook fireplace
with a chamfered segmental arch. Downstairs a fireplace dated 1671 with
simple diamond shaped plasterwork above. Kitchen has large fireplace with a
beehive oven. C17 panelling brought in from other buildings this century.
History: once a rest house for Fountains Abbey, later belonging to Bolton
Priory. Purchased by Sir Wm Milner in 1928, who designed the additions.
Given to the Walsingham Trust in 1960. Country Life, October 25 1962,
'A New Role for a Wharfedale Hall', Bernard Wood pp 1039.
Listing NGR: SE0689161249
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings