This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3517 / 54°21'5"N
Longitude: -2.7197 / 2°43'10"W
OS Eastings: 353318
OS Northings: 495363
OS Grid: SD533953
Mapcode National: GBR 9LF3.ZT
Mapcode Global: WH82Q.6W5B
Entry Name: Catholic Chapel of Ss Robert and Alice and Presbytery, Dodding Green
Listing Date: 21 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157927
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75749
Location: Skelsmergh and Scalthwaiterigg, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Skelsmergh and Scalthwaiterigg
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Skelsmergh St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 59 NW SKELSMERGH HELME LANE
6/169 Catholic Chapel of
SS Robert and Alice
Catholic chapel and presbytery. Mid to late C17 with alterations and additions
of early C18, c1840 and 1940. Rainwater head to north end: "RSA/1682" (Robert
and Alice Stevenson). Roughcast stone with slate roof. East facade of
2 storeys and 3 bays, end bays project under gables. Wide eaves and verges.
Windows are mostly sashed with glazing bars, but 1st and 3rd bays of ground
floor have casements, and 3rd bay of 1st floor has 3-light straight-headed
window with label mould, cusped lights and leaded glazing lighting chapel.
South facade of 2 bays, the 1st bay gabled, with datestone reading: "CB/1840".
Windows are cross-mullioned, with casements. Plaster plaque to 2nd bay reads:
"HAEC DOMUS/RENOVATA/EST/A. S. MCMXL/RJGK". Gabled porch, has half-glazed doors.
North elevation has small gabled porch with segmental-headed entrance to
return. External stair to 1st floor lean-to porch. 2 1st floor windows of
2 lights as to east facade lighting chapel. West elevation has C18 gabled wing
to 1st bay, with smaller gabled wing attached. 2nd bay has rounded stair
projection with 1st floor 3-light window; to right, a ground floor casement
window with above a projection in angle with later range, connected with priest
hide. Later range is gabled to returns, of C18, with sashed windows with
glazing bars, C19 extension to south. Interior: Chapel has C19 altar, reredos
and wall paintings to east end; C18 altar rails have turned balusters.
6-fielded-panel door to house. Original stair is semi-circular. 2 separate
flights round octagonal newels. Early C18 stair has square newels, turned
balusters and moulded handrail and string. Cupboard to 1st floor is
round-headed with fluted Corinthian pilasters, archivolt and cornice,
fielded-panel doors. The house was left to the Catholic Church in 1723 by
Robert Stevenson to serve as a chapel and presbytery, having already been in use
for some years as a Mass centre. See R.C.H.M. Inventory: Westmorland.
Listing NGR: SD5331895363
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings