This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1962 / 50°11'46"N
Longitude: -5.1431 / 5°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 175768
OS Northings: 37635
OS Grid: SW757376
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.RN5C
Mapcode Global: FRA 083H.Q4C
Plus Code: 9C2P5VW4+FP
Entry Name: Ponsanooth Methodist Church, Including Forecourt Walls, Steps and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 28 June 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159101
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66516
Location: St. Gluvias, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: St. Gluvias
Built-Up Area: Ponsanooth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mabe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NE ST GLUVIAS CHAPEL HILL, Ponsanooth
1/107 Ponsanooth Methodist Church,
28.6.63 including forecourt walls,
GV steps and gate-piers
Methodist chapel including forecourt walls, steps and gate-piers. Datestone 1843.
Granite ashlar entrance front, otherwise painted granite rubble with granite
dressings. Concrete tile roof with pediment at the front and gable end at the rear.
Plan: Rectangular aisle-less plan with gallery on 4 sides. Rostrum at the south
west (ritual east) end, entrance hall to pair of stair halls at the front (north
east) end. Projecting at the rear is a semi-circular-on-plan organ loft (originally
a communion apse) with probably a vestry and entrance lobby underneath. Slightly
later single-storey vestry adjoining the rear right-hand corner with a lean-to porch
Exterior: Unaltered 2-storey elevations with original doors and windows in original
openings. Symmetrical 1:1:1 to north east entrance front with wide central doorway.
Granite ashlar front has plinth, rusticated quoin strips, mid-floor string and a
shaped parapet with moulded cornices. Central bay is broken forward and is
surmounted by a squat triangular pediment which breaks the lower cornice of the main
pediment. Elliptically-arched doorway with string course over. Pair of 6-panel
doors and spoked fanlight set back within porch. Flat arches to the 2 ground floor
window openings, round-headed opening to the 3 first-floor bays. Hornless sashes
with glazing bars. First floor windows have traceried heads. Semi-circular-on-plan
forecourt at the front has wide central gateway with square-on-plan granite
monolithic piers flanking a flight of 6 steps and there are chamfered copings over
the ashlar walls at either side. Side walls have 4 windows to each floor. Shallow
keyed arches to ground floor openings, square headed openings above hornless sashes
with glazing bars.
Interior: Plastered walls and ceiling; original gallery carried on Tuscan columns
with panelled front cantelevered out on shaped brackets. Circa late-C19 rostrum on
similar columns; circa late-C19 pews.
Listing NGR: SW7576837635
Other nearby listed buildings